Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tow hook mods

828 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeeples 
#1 ·
Not sure if this should be posted here or in fabrications but....I wanted to add tow hooks to my WJ. I went to a self service junk yard and got 2 for less than $10. But one of the brackets is bent because of an accident. I went online to find a tow hook eye bracket, and I only found that wjjeep sells it individually.....for $150!! So do you guys think

A. Can the bracket be straightened back to normal? If so is it worth the cost to have it done? And who would be equipped to do this? (Im assuming a machine shop would be able to)
B. If it cant be/shouldnt be repaired, is there anywhere else I can buy only one (drivers side) bracket?
C. If nothing can be done, what would be the best way to mount the hooks by themselves?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes. A machine shop will be able to bend the bracket. Any shop with a bearing press (sometimes even parts stores have them for free use) will be able to do it. Bring the good one as a reference.

Scuff them up afterwards & shoot them with some gloss black and they'll look great too.

#7 ·
Derailing a bit here but the same truck I got the tow hooks off of also had BDS coils and shocks. It was up on blocks so the axles are dropped and it would be easy to salvage them. But how can I tell if they are 2 or 4 inch lifts? BDS makes both. I tried to call them, but it was impossible to get someone on the phone or get a callback. Is there any way to measure the coil and see how much lift its designed for?

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.