Torque plus angle head bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torque plus angle head bolts

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Knoxes
2004 WJ 

Torque plus angle head bolts

Just fyi and at your own risk. Re-installing the head bolts on the 2004 4.7L HO motor calls for a torque to angle process rather than a more familiar torque to yield. It requires a special tool such as

which I found at Advance Auto for about $14.

The manual states to coat the M11 bolts with clean engine oil and torque to 20 ft/lbs in sequence (see the manual). Then the bolts are tightened 90 degrees (again in sequence), and then another 90 degrees (in sequence). The four M8 bolts are also torqued, but not TPA method.

I found that the angle tool was difficult to use that my confidence in the accuracy was low (due to visibility, slop in the wrench/extension/socket, etc). So on the easily accessible bolts, I used the torque wrench with the angle tool, did the TPA method and discovered that the final torque value was 55 ft/lbs. That seemed low to me, but I'm confident that having equalized value across the heads was more effective than the margin of error that could occur with the TPA method.

So the left side head was installed using the 20-40-55 ft/lb method. Again, try this at your own risk. I haven't completed the rebuild, so I can't report on success/failure. Just passing the info along.

Knoxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.