Too good to be true CraigsList find - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Too good to be true CraigsList find

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjguru86 View Post
I'm sorry if I generalized how my email is tied to my cc. Please allow me to explain. First off, I am making an assumption here that the scammer somehow hacked my email by my response. I manage my credit cards online. I have to give the cc company my email address when i create an online account. This is so they can verify things and so you can recover things like....you guessed it....passwords! my amazon account was also hacked immediately after i responded back to the scammers email address. Which is also TIED to my email address in the same way. So in theory, if the potential scammer gained access to my email as a result of me foolishly responding they could gain access to things like my credit cards and amazon account.

I understand this could be pure coincidence and might not have been this clist scammer that did all this. But I have no way of knowing either way. Just trying to give some precautionary advice. take it or leave it.
To be honest, it sounds more like you clicked a link to a malicious website that installed a keylogger on your machine, and uploaded your passwords as you logged in to websites. If you clicked any links the scammer sent back to you, or if there was one in the ad, then you should definitely run an av scan and MalwareBytes on your machine. Probably a good idea to do this anyway, since if the malware is still on your box, changing your passwords will just result in them having your new passwords.

But the worst thing sending a message to the scammer did was give away your email address, which they harvest and sell to spammers. If the password to your email account is really weak, then there's a small possibility they could have brute forced it, but that's probably unlikely... However, you should always make sure that your password is at least 8 characters (15+ is better given how fast password hashes can be cracked using GPUs nowadays), and a combination of upper/lower case characters, numbers, and special characters.

SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.