Too good to be true CraigsList find - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Too good to be true CraigsList find

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #31
texlurch
2002 WJ 

So wait, y'all are saying it's a scam??????

Damn... wonder if it was a bad idear to give them my CC#????

Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #32
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Credit card? No way. Social security, sure.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The 99 with rear noise was a bust. In fair condition its only worth 1800.

Too much work.

Had no brakes. The line to rear was rusted through.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
wjguru86

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Yep, scam. All over Craigslist from bikes to ATV's to cars.
I love to f-k with them and go back and forth with emails. But as soon as you try to pin them down with a physical location of the vehicle, they disappear.
I would think twice before writing back to f with them. I thought it would be entertaining as well but right after I replied I had numerous fraudulent charges on my credit card (which is tied to my email address) for hundreds of dollars in different countries. Thankfully my credit card flagged the transactions and i wasn't responsible. It could be pure coincidence but I've never had a problem like that before. IMHO if youre going to mess with them use a email address that isnt tied to ANY of your personal information.
wjguru86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

What? No one is going to be able to get your CC number just by knowing your email address... Unless perhaps your email address is something like MASTERCARD54293111635348090516cvv-464@mycc.net... Or maybe if that's your paypal email address and your paypal password is 'password' or equal to your username? ... In which case ... well... You deserve the fraudulent charges.
SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
texlurch
2002 WJ 

How is your CC "tied" to your email.. ?

Some basic common sense needs to prevail when shopping on the web....

I've responded to more than a few of these stupid CL spam ads with no issue other than my wasted time.

I even replied to a Prince in Nigeria... should be seeing my 10 million in the account any day now...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
justn
2002 WJ 

I remember that exact ad when looking for my second WJ a year ago. Like everyone said, its a scam.
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
AveryZJ
1998 ZJ 

Saw this exact ad a couple years ago. She said the same stuff word for word. I had a strong feeling it was a scam so I told her I had a buddy in Nebraska and asked if he could go look at it for me. She never replied back
AveryZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #39
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Its a very common scam even appears here in Ireland and UK
Pictures of vehicle are often downloaded from someone else selling a vehicle on line. There is gangs in lagos Nigeria doing this worldwide.

There is lots of variations on this scam but it normally works like this.

Pictures are downloaded from the Internet of a nice vehicle. Construct add and make it look exceptional value for money. It can't be viewed as it is in a different state country etc... but they can ship to you at no / low cost and you pay by 3rd party ebay whatever will hold the money untill you have inspected and released the money.

Once you send money its gone even with ebay as they had set up ebay account just for this purpose and money is withdrawn instantly ebay can't get back the money either as the bank account linked to ebay account is empty and owner can't be traced.

There is, never was a vehicle. It was pictures they downloaded somewhere.
Your money is gone as soon as you press send. Almost impossible to trace them.

This is often a criminal gang who are doing this scam day in day out. Most people won't fall for it but if even 0.01% do its very profitable for them.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #40
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I hate scammers and thieves. They should be strung up by their testicles.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
wjguru86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCussFreq View Post
What? No one is going to be able to get your CC number just by knowing your email address... Unless perhaps your email address is something like MASTERCARD54293111635348090516cvv-464@mycc.net... Or maybe if that's your paypal email address and your paypal password is 'password' or equal to your username? ... In which case ... well... You deserve the fraudulent charges.
I'm sorry if I generalized how my email is tied to my cc. Please allow me to explain. First off, I am making an assumption here that the scammer somehow hacked my email by my response. I manage my credit cards online. I have to give the cc company my email address when i create an online account. This is so they can verify things and so you can recover things like....you guessed it....passwords! my amazon account was also hacked immediately after i responded back to the scammers email address. Which is also TIED to my email address in the same way. So in theory, if the potential scammer gained access to my email as a result of me foolishly responding they could gain access to things like my credit cards and amazon account.

I understand this could be pure coincidence and might not have been this clist scammer that did all this. But I have no way of knowing either way. Just trying to give some precautionary advice. take it or leave it.
wjguru86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #42
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjguru86 View Post

I'm sorry if I generalized how my email is tied to my cc. Please allow me to explain. First off, I am making an assumption here that the scammer somehow hacked my email by my response. I manage my credit cards online. I have to give the cc company my email address when i create an online account. This is so they can verify things and so you can recover things like....you guessed it....passwords! my amazon account was also hacked immediately after i responded back to the scammers email address. Which is also TIED to my email address in the same way. So in theory, if the potential scammer gained access to my email as a result of me foolishly responding they could gain access to things like my credit cards and amazon account.

I understand this could be pure coincidence and might not have been this clist scammer that did all this. But I have no way of knowing either way. Just trying to give some precautionary advice. take it or leave it.
Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the warning.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #43
wsar10
2003 WJ 

I have for sale, ocean front property in South Philly for 10k an acre......
Ill finance the mortgage with a pre approval letter from your bank and 5k down. SERIOUSLY !!

PM me if interested

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #44
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
I have for sale, ocean front property in South Philly for 10k an acre......
Ill finance the mortgage with a pre approval letter from your bank and 5k down. SERIOUSLY !!

PM me if interested
I will buy the lot as a I just got a email from a guy who needs to get his money out of his country and will let me keep half. Only problem I don't have a bank account. If you open one for me I'll give you half of what I get.. its a sure thing the guy told me he is a prince and we are talking millions.... so I know your serious open a checking account with 5k in my name "jonny justrobbedyou"

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #45
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
I will buy the lot as a I just got a email from a guy who needs to get his money out of his country and will let me keep half. Only problem I don't have a bank account. If you open one for me I'll give you half of what I get.. its a sure thing the guy told me he is a prince and we are talking millions.... so I know your serious open a checking account with 5k in my name "jonny justrobbedyou"
DONE......

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.