Tizzdizz's 03 Limited - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tizzdizz's 03 Limited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #31
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

What do you guys think of this?

edit: OK let's try that link again...

74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #32
sherker55
2004 WJ 

dude, mine is/was doing the same thing. what trackbar is it, JKS? I called them and they asked if I had everything torqued properly...I did. They said that if the trackbar is moving and clunking like that, then I didn't have it tight enough because the sleeve that is inside the bushings should sit right up against the brackets and hold it in places with out moving. but that doesn't mean that the BUSHING that is AROUND the sleeve isn't mis-shaped causing the movement. I had the black bushings, and they have been using red ones for about a year now. so they shipped me the red ones to replace. I haven't done so yet, no time, but I did get under there and tighten the sheet out of it again...temporary relief I believe becuase its starting to creak again. I think when I replace the black bushings with the red ones, I will lock-tite the bolts.
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #33
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

When I went to install my adjustable trackbar I test fitted the factory bolts and they were way too small for the trackbar bushing. It looks like you might be running into the same thing. I would suggest pulling the trackbar and seeing how much play the bolt has inside the bushing. I just brought the trackbar to the hardware store and got a new grade 8 bolts that had a much more snug fit. If you go this route you will need to knock off the pre welded nut on the lower mount. I used a small impact hammer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice build. I'll be following it.
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #34
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

That's a good idea and sounds pretty familiar. The Trackbar came with the Zone lift kit, along with the black bushings.

My theory prior to making that video was that the bolt was too small for the sleeves and had play. I took out the drivers side bolt and checked it out and it felt pretty darn snug, without much play. I put it back together and used the bolt that came with the kit (stock bolts were used before), and it still does it. So that's when I made that video. I can't figure out why the bushing appears to have so much give.
My videos
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #35
scarrskey
1999 WJ 

Then my only remaining thought would be that the bushings are too soft. I know KOR makes some harder bushings to solve these problems but they seem a little pricey for what they are. Guess its worth a shot if all else fails. Heres the link:

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/in...roducts_id=290
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #36
volvite
1999 WJ 

Moving along quick.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #37
dustinova
2001 WJ 

Keep us posted on that track bar bushing issue. I'm in the process of installing my Zone lift and was worried that I may run into that very same issue. Thanks.
Unread 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #38
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

OK, I really hadn't touched the jeep since my last post until today (not my DD). I found the source of most of my noises:

Rear clunking:
1) by disconnecting the rear sway bar on both sides, I got that noise to go away. The extended sway bar links have play between bolts and bushings. I may try to wrap the bolts with electrical tape to see if that gets rid of the noise at speed. I'll report back later today to let you know if it worked.

2)I noticed the same thing with my upper shock bolts in the rear. I had read somewhere that WJ shock bolts are a tiny bit smaller diameter than the standard shock eye is, so I took out the bolt on the right rear, wrapped the un-threaded portion with 2-3 wraps of electrical tape, and that clunk is gone. Check yours! You may not be able to tell if there's play just by pulling and jiggling the shock in place.

Front Track bar:

Oh my god, why wont this issue go away? I ordered new bushings from zone, along with the sleeve inserts. I removed my adj. trackbar and compared, and the new bushings vs. the ones that came with the lift kit are the same. Same part numbers and everything. I didn't even bother installing them. At this point I'm really close to ordering a JKS adj TB instead.

I would consider ordering some bushings from a different company, but I don't want to waste more time and money to find out that they're either the same, or have the same problem with play.

So for right now, I might just reinstall the stock Trackbar. Is this going to be an issue? I know it will cause my axle to be off center, but will there be any other issues?
My videos
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #39
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

OK, no more clunks! For the most part. I finally found the correct sleeves for the rear swaybar end links and now the noises are gone. I reinstalled the stock trackbar for the time being, which so far seems fine. Now I feel like driving it again without being annoyed!
My videos
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #40
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

s\So have you noticed with the stock track bar back in that your axle is off center? and if so... if there's any handling/tracking problems when driving?
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #41
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I did notice it sticks out a slight bit further on the drivers side, but no matter to me. It's temporary. No tracking issues, but I only drove it around town yesterday. So far so good!
My videos
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #42
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Well, it's been 1 year since I lifted the jeep, and I'm still very happy with how things are holding up. Since it's not a daily driver, I only have a few thousand miles on it since then. I realized I never updated this thread so I'll go down the list:

Track Bar Noise
I ended up taking it into a local jeep shop to give the whole thing a once-over, and they located and installed stiffer bushings that solved the problem 100%. No issues at all. They also aligned the jeep and checked all the 4x4 gear for proper fluid levels etc etc. I am now running the Zone adjustable trackbar with the upgraded bushings, and it works great.

Right around the same time, my rear power window motor/regulator took a crap, so that got fixed too.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
These tires are awesome. I've done several road trips with the wifey and they handle really well. They still look new, and they perform really well offroad. They do rub at full lock on my Zone LCA's, but oh well.

Tail Wag/Rear Sway Bar
Just last weekend I got an Addco 1" swaybar (684) from Amazon of all places, and the greasable bushings/mounts from Energy Suspension. I was tired of the excessive body roll when on the freeway during lane changes or slight corrections with the steering wheel. It is SUCH a difference, I'm mad that I didn't do this earlier. Every trip I used to take with people in the car, I worried I might make them carsick with the body sway, but it is perfect now.

Took it on a couple long drives the last 2 weekends and put it to the test and I feel so much more confident in cornering, and quick maneuvers. My wife is getting tired of hearing me remark on how much better it is

I also got a full size spare from a junk yard and tucked it under the false floor in the spare tire well. It mostly fits, and I just ratched-strapped it down and put the rubber cargo mat over it, so I still have a usable trunk floor.
My videos
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #43
djpeters
2004 WJ 

It's great when threads have happy endings!! Thanks for the update.
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Today we took it up into the Santa Cruz Mountains to Big Basin Redwoods State Park. I used to camp here as a kid, and it was nice to really test the Jeep on those real narrow single lane switch-back mountain roads. It did awesome, and I was wishing I could've done more exploring up there, but we mostly explored on foot.

Anyway, I do have some up-to-date pictures now.

I love Redwoods.

My videos
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #45
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

A few months ago I had to use my jeep instead of my company truck to get to a remote jobsite that required 4 wheel drive. The client used his dozer to make a "road" for us, but it was pretty cool to be off-roading while on the clock!

Most of the time I was able to borrow a co-workers 02 tacoma 4x4, which did pretty well for a stock truck. But my WJ did circles around it, made it look like a toy. I know it's apples to oranges, but it still made me feel good about my jeep.

Anyway, I got some pictures and video from that 3-week long adventure.

My videos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.