Is Tires Plus trying to screw me? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 PM
jeepordie10
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i was getting my tires switched over the idiot with the impact went to town and striped out 3 of my studs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Funny, because I just ordered upper and lower Ball Joints for mine, and the "Note" description from every company said "There should be some lateral play in these ball joints, that is normal" Seriously, go to the Rock Auto website and look up WJ ball joints and read the note.

That tech did a good job, however he found this thread. Personally when the shop I went to last week told me what I needed, I let them know I was going to do it myself basically just because I don't have the MONEY to pay them to do that much work. He was very nice and helpful about it and invited me back in with it for the alignment I will still need once I'm done. They will get my business and recommendations solely based on how nice the guy that helped me was.

1999 WJ - Over 10k on the 4.0 rebuild. FB/BDS 2" lift (2.5") w/Bilstein 5125's. General Class Ham...KC0LUA
Burlbook48 sez "Nothing moves a project along faster than cubic dollars." Certified Thread Killer.
post #33 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 AM
xmonger

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
Since we're all trading chain repair shop horror stories. Few years back I went into a Monroe for a mount and balance and nearly got raped, physically raped!
I was tied up in the basement w/ some big black guy waiting to be raped by a pawn shop owner and his cop friend. While they were in the other room I broke free and went to escape and save myself but had a change of heart. Found a samurai sword and went back there and rescued the other guy.
Or maybe they broke one of my tire pressure sensors and replaced it w/ just a regular stem. Not sure, its been a few years. Either way I just don't go to Monroe anymore.

One of Tarantino's best scenes. Nice tie in.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 H.O.

post #34 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
BigSteve

Its funny how when you go to the doctor and they find something you were not complaining about, they are life saving angels! You take your car to the mechanic that YOU chose and he finds something, he's the devil. News flash folks most mechanics are paid based on the work they do. That means if they do 10 hours of work that day, they get paid 10 hours. They do 2 hours of work that day, they get paid 2 hours. So in short, yes they absolutely will look for other work to do on your car while its at the shop. THATS HOW THEY GET PAID. Now if they are recomending work that doesn't need to be done that is a problem. However, if you are getting your oil changed and they come tell you that your brakes are worn out and you need new tires and that is actually the case, then what are you complaining about? Them doing the job properly? How dare they! If you don't want the work, don't buy the work. If you think they are wrong get a second opinion.
post #35 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
Now if they are recomending work that doesn't need to be done that is a problem.
That's the problem. That, and the chain stores have exorbitant charges for basic jobs where a mechanic or dealer would be 1/3 the price.

Example - $900 quoted to me by Firestone to replace 2 strut mounts. That's a max of 2 hours DIY labor and $30 in parts. Every time I go for an alignment (on the lifetime deal), they tell me all of my fluids need to be changed immediately, even when I have just changed them myself very recently. Doesn't matter what car I have, the story is always the same. Meanwhile the fluids that are actually bad get overlooked (like brake fluid).

Another fellow on here had an new oil pressure sender, a rear axle shaft bearing replaced, and diff fluid replaced by a PepBoys. $1400. Say what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Richard
post #36 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
BigSteve

I don't disagree that a dealer or chain store will always be more expensive. The reason is why? With both the dealer and chain store not only are you paying for parts and labor but you are also paying the nation wide warranty that typically accompanies the work. You are not going to be able to get a nation wide warranty through your local mechanic. With dealers you are also paying for the training and schooling that the techs receive. Being a VW dealer tech myself I cannot count the number of times that I have seen a vehicle come in that has received in some cases thousands of dollars of work only to come to us and find out all they need is a couple hundred. I once saw an owner that only did 2 oil changes in 50000 miles then came to us once it started running crappy. We told her that the neglect was so extensive that she now needed a cylinder head. She didn't like the answer so she went to pep boys. They told her all she needed was an igntion coil. Who do you think she believed? We rediagnosed, installed a known good and 2 new coils before she would believe us. I'm not saying that the dealership boys always are right or are the best in anyway shape or form. What I am saying is that if you have to get your car fixed and you don't have a tech you trust then I would go to a dealership. Chances are that the guys that work on the same vehicle day in and day out know more about that vehicle than the guy that may fix one or two of those a week.
post #37 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I absolutely agree, the dealer is where you go when you need the expert. I'm in no way complaining about dealer pricing, I support it for the exact reasons you describe. Not only do you get the training and experienced professional technicians, you also have the selection of dealer-only special tools for the job. I'm sure you know about that, VAG wrote the book on special tool usage. (I've owned 3 VWs and 6 Audis).

I do not support the chain store pricing. The fellow from PepBoys actually had an extra $50 charge on the invoice for the warranty! I bet that chain stores come in MORE expensive than most dealers for anything outside of an oil change. That's how they get you in the door, with cheap basic services and exorbitant charges for minor repairs.

~Richard
post #38 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM
BigSteve

Totally agree. As far as the special tool thing goes, man it just keeps getting worse!
post #39 of 43 Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
BSROSocial

Good afternoon everyone. I am from the corporate office of Tires Plus.

First of all, we do our best to listen to our customers, whether it is in our stores, online, in blogs or via social. We find these blogs helpful when determining how we are doing and where we need to improve. Unfortunately, when people have an experience that does not meet their expectations, they don't always contact us but contact blogs or post online.

In regards to making recommendations that aren't necessary, the one comment above is accurate. When we enter a vehicle's information into our computer, a list of recommendations is generated. These recommendations are the same recommendations as in the owner's manual of the vehicle and are usually based on the age of the vehicle or the mileage. Most customers like knowing what their vehicle manufacturer recommends checking or replacing. Please keep in mind that people on forums like yours are not the typical customer. Usually when people come to a "do it for me" place like Tires Plus, they are not interested in doing repair or maintenance work themselves. Likewise, they don't have a deep understanding of how a vehicle works.

In any case, the recommendations are always optional. It is our job to present these recommendations as such so our customers do not feel that we are requiring them to have the services done. Unfortunately, if our employees donít do a good job at explaining what is recommended and why, the customer may feel that we are excessively adding things just to make money. Here is where we need to get involved so we can make improvements.

If you have any specific questions about the service that we provide or the recommendations that we have made during a recent visit to a Tires Plus location, please email me at social@bfrc.com. Iíll reach back out to you to get some additional information (like your phone number and invoice number) via email . I'll do that so your personal information won't be posted online and so I can get involved and make things right.

Keep the forum going. It is a great way to connect people who have the same passion and interests.

Steve
post #40 of 43 Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

Very interesting

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #41 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 AM
BigSteve

There they go doing they're job again! Sorry had to.
post #42 of 43 Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 AM
kcchief77
2002 WJ 

Theeeeerrrreeeee heeeeerrrreeeeee!
post #43 of 43 Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief77
Theeeeerrrreeeee heeeeerrrreeeeee!
Lmaoooo

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.