Is Tires Plus trying to screw me? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Yes, mechanics these days are required to perform a vehicle condition check before they even touch it.so you don't claim they scratched your paint and crapped in your back seat while you got your 10$ oil change that doesn't cover the labor even.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM
georged
2004 WJ 

I agree with everything that has been said. However I had an alignment on my 1961 Buick and they tried to sell me ball joints - even showed me the play. I said no thanks. 2,000 miles later the ball joint failed and the wheel came off while driving - I was going very show at the time.
post #18 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 AM
jeep04
2004 WJ 

After working at a Midas for many years I would not go to one unless you know what's wrong and always get a second opinion.

As was said in someone's post, it's their job to find crap wrong with your vehicle, we use to have 10$ oil changes just to get people in and hopefully it them with the big ticket or just an add on like an air filter, fluid changes (small jobs add up) and these mechanics don't make any money if you only want a 10$ oil change.

But I have never seen anyone purposely break something or say something major is wrong when it's not, they might give you BS about fluids smelling bad and/or looking old but I know here in pa especially during a state inspection we are heavily monitored by the state and most shops won't risk loosing their license to get an extra couple hundred bucks.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but you can always say no and go somewhere else if you feel your being ripped off.

04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.

post #19 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Brian321
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan View Post
Then I have a follow up question. How do I check if my ball joints are bad? My ride is fine, just a bit of wandering on the road.

Jack the car up by positioning the jack on the frame so the suspension is not supporting the weight of the vehicle. Place a jack stand under the frame close to the jack. Release the jack so the jack stand is supporting the weight of the vehicle.

Grasp the tire at the top and bottom(12 and 6 o'clock). Attempt to move the top of the tire in toward the vehicle and out away from the vehicle. If there is movement, the ball joints likely need to be replaced; however, a certain amount of movement is expected in some vehicles.

1999 Grand Cherokee
4.7L
post #20 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Update: I got a call from tires plus a few minutes ago. The guy who did the work had read this thread and apologized for the scary quote. He said as far as fluids go, they hadn't checked them or the fuel system but it was just customary to quote on a car with as many miles as mine. He did say the ball joints were actually a problem. He said he'd give me a free oil change and show me what was wrong. I told him I could fix it myself and he said he had a press I could borrow if i ever needed to. It seemed sincere so I'll take back calling him and idiot. Good customer service there.

PS Apparently, Tires Plus is always watching. Watch out what you say.

Dang, I finally have a TJ.
post #21 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
99WJdan
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Update: I got a call from tires plus a few minutes ago. The guy who did the work had read this thread and apologized for the scary quote. He said as far as fluids go, they hadn't checked them or the fuel system but it was just customary to quote on a car with as many miles as mine. He did say the ball joints were actually a problem. He said he'd give me a free oil change and show me what was wrong. I told him I could fix it myself and he said he had a press I could borrow if i ever needed to. It seemed sincere so I'll take back calling him and idiot. Good customer service there.

Sarcasm? They just tried to stick you with a outrageous "repair" bill that they didn't even check haha. I bet if you would have gave them the go ahead your final invoice would be a bit higher then their "quote". Shops like that give real technicians a bad reputation. Shops like that wouldn't think twice about putting some oil on your shocks and tell you your shock is leaking...then charge you $500 for one.

99' WJ 4.7, 3.5" lift, Bilsteins, JKS goodies, 32" Guard Dogs on 16x7 4" BS Soft 8s
Build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/99wjdans-build-thread-1304554/
post #22 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJdan View Post
Sarcasm? They just tried to stick you with a outrageous "repair" bill that they didn't even check haha. I bet if you would have gave them the go ahead your final invoice would be a bit higher then their "quote". Shops like that give real technicians a bad reputation. Shops like that wouldn't think twice about putting some oil on your shocks and tell you your shock is leaking...then charge you $500 for one.
Partially, haha. I should have emphasized "THERE." Meaning it was an instance of good customer service, like at that exact second. As a whole, NO. I will never go back, but it was a smart move on this guys part. Still not sure how they found this thread though. And yeah, I know he wouldn't have hesitated if i said, yeah go for it. I have no doubt they would have knocked up the price even more if I showed vulnerability like the rich mothers in my town. But this props to this guy for seeking me out when I raised hell. Sadly, not enough props to bring me back.

PS to Tires Plus: If you read this, don't call me again. I've made up my mind.

post #23 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Quote:
First off, I know the answer... Yes. But is it more than just milking me for money.

I NEVER go to Tires Plus. I have a trusted shop and I do most things on my own. I was there because I had a card for a free oil change from them. When I picked up the WJ, they told me I had a big problem with my suspension. They told me I needed new upper and lower ball joints on the front; both sides. I said, "isn't that a steering problem, not a suspension problem?" I had never noticed anything wrong there before, although Sears did give me a bogus alignment a while back. It wandered but, I figured they just aligned off center when putting my new wheels on. (I wont go there either. I was out of state and they were the cheapest)

I dont know why tires plus was looking at my suspension and steering during and oil change but they quoted me $62 for the uppers ans $92 for the lowers, then $627 for labor.

The man said, "would you like me to ask your parents what they want to do?"

I'm 18.

I said, "It's my money, my car, and I know a lot more about this stuff than they do. And I don't want you guys to touch it."

For the record, they also quoted me $430 worth of fluid changes recommended and $286 worth of recommended fuel tuneup work (they said i needed a new fuel filter. i replaced mine a few months ago). That makes a total of about $1700 in work.

With all this going on, do you think they would have maybe tweaked my steering to try to milk an innocent kid for some more cash?

Sorry for the rant. Any help is appreciated. Hopefully my next thread isn't about DIY ball joint help.
WOW, $627 for labor? I did all 4 of mine in probably less than 4hrs and they were still good, LOL
It's not hard just get the tool from autozone

04 Overland on 33's, Lift & tires= 8" over stock.
post #24 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 PM
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan

Thats really creepy. I took a picture at a dealer and posted it in the prototype forum, and a guy from the dealer started posting in the thread. Creepy..

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
post #25 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJdan View Post
Settle down. Fluid and filter change recommendations aren't even entered by the mechanic. The vehicle mileage is entered and the computer adds in the recommended maintenance items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
WOW, $627 for labor? I did all 4 of mine in probably less than 4hrs and they were still good, LOL
It's not hard just get the tool from autozone
Chain stores use the book time, which is 6hrs. If they go over, you're charged and they're paid 6 hrs, if they go under they still make 6hrs.
You want someone to charge actual, go to an independent.
I had a Sears store do a ball joint on one of my cars before, at a book time of two hours, it was one of the riveted in joints so of course i let him have it. It took six hours and he bought a new cv axle because he torched the boot by accident.
sometimes the mechanic makes an extra hour ( at his actual rate of 16$/hr) and sometimes he gets raped by a stubborn vehicle.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #26 of 43 Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Last question here. Or maybe i need another thread. The mech told me there should be zero play in my ball joints. He clutched the top and bottom of the top joint to show me that it moved slightly. I thought it should move a small amount like it did. It was a very small amount. Should it.

post #27 of 43 Old 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Since we're all trading chain repair shop horror stories. Few years back I went into a Monroe for a mount and balance and nearly got raped, physically raped!
I was tied up in the basement w/ some big black guy waiting to be raped by a pawn shop owner and his cop friend. While they were in the other room I broke free and went to escape and save myself but had a change of heart. Found a samurai sword and went back there and rescued the other guy.
Or maybe they broke one of my tire pressure sensors and replaced it w/ just a regular stem. Not sure, its been a few years. Either way I just don't go to Monroe anymore.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2004 WJ Overland ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
post #28 of 43 Old 03-11-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

bump for my previous question

post #29 of 43 Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan
bump for my previous question
A very small amount is ok..

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #30 of 43 Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACNY View Post
A very small amount is ok..
Any play fails safety inspection here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.