Is Tires Plus trying to screw me? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is Tires Plus trying to screw me?

First off, I know the answer... Yes. But is it more than just milking me for money.

I NEVER go to Tires Plus. I have a trusted shop and I do most things on my own. I was there because I had a card for a free oil change from them. When I picked up the WJ, they told me I had a big problem with my suspension. They told me I needed new upper and lower ball joints on the front; both sides. I said, "isn't that a steering problem, not a suspension problem?" I had never noticed anything wrong there before, although Sears did give me a bogus alignment a while back. It wandered but, I figured they just aligned off center when putting my new wheels on. (I wont go there either. I was out of state and they were the cheapest)

I dont know why tires plus was looking at my suspension and steering during and oil change but they quoted me $62 for the uppers ans $92 for the lowers, then $627 for labor.

The man said, "would you like me to ask your parents what they want to do?"

I'm 18.

I said, "It's my money, my car, and I know a lot more about this stuff than they do. And I don't want you guys to touch it."

For the record, they also quoted me $430 worth of fluid changes recommended and $286 worth of recommended fuel tuneup work (they said i needed a new fuel filter. i replaced mine a few months ago). That makes a total of about $1700 in work.

With all this going on, do you think they would have maybe tweaked my steering to try to milk an innocent kid for some more cash?

Sorry for the rant. Any help is appreciated. Hopefully my next thread isn't about DIY ball joint help.

Dang, I finally have a TJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tires Plus will always "find" something wrong with your vehicle. Yes, they are a rip-off.

Read some JeepForum threads, learn to diagnose problems and perform repairs for yourself, make your own repairs and save 75% or more.

Find a trustworthy independent garage or suspension and alignment shop. You may or may not need any repairs, but before you spend any money, you should get a few more inspections. Never mention a previous shops inspection or estimate, simply ask them to look at the front suspension and steering.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you. But do you think any semi reputable auto shop would have the balls to create problems to fix?

post #4 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also just btw, the guy said, "you don't want your wheel to pop off when ur in 4wd. I see the mud under there."

Sadly, I don't have 4wd. We were standing next to my axle at eye level. Maybe my front diff needs to be replaced as well... Idiot.

post #5 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
dmchenry35

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan View Post
Thank you. But do you think any semi reputable auto shop would have the balls to create problems to fix?
Yes but only because I think and expect the worst from most people.

'04 Khaki Wrangler X
2" BDS Lift | Adjustable Rear Track Bar | K&N FIPK | 31x10.5R15 on Rock Crawler Series
post #6 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, most of the chain stores like Tires Plus, Firestone, Midas have a business model of "kick em while they're down". Walk in for a flat repair, walk out with a $900 estimate. They've done the same thing to me. Firestone even had the gall to say that all my fluids looked "really old" when all had been changed with synthetic within the last 3 months. "Well that's just what the technician told me." Yeah, like they really cracked open my diffs and transfer case to check. Ironically enough, the only fluid I hadn't changed (brake fluid) they didn't even mention.

Same thing happened when I was getting a flat repair at Firestone and they tried to milk a lady for $1400 for all new calipers, rotors, pads, and tires on a 2008 Mazda CX-9. In late 2010. All this because she had a slight squeak in her brakes and she wanted them to do the $149 brake pad special.

I was also quoted close to $900 for strut mounts in my old Audi ($30 in parts, 2 hours of labor for a DIY like me) when I was having an alignment done.

In short, they're crooks. They know they are recommending services people don't need and are counting on people's own ignorance to fall for their traps. Younger people and women are prime targets. I really don't expect them to be so brash as to create problems. After all, this is all bottom-line thinking. Creating a problem costs them labor and doesn't strengthen their claims. It's cheaper for them to lie than to break it and tell the truth, and both methods are equally likely to succeed in making the sale.

Knowledge is power. Inform yourself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Richard
post #7 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Then I have a follow up question. How do I check if my ball joints are bad? My ride is fine, just a bit of wandering on the road.

post #8 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

i could walk around your jeep and find probably a dozen things that should be fixed. are they really necessary? probably not. are they causing a problem now? probably not. its your jeep you drive it and you know whats need to be done.
they gave you a free oil change to fish for that $1700.
smart line you gave back. made me laugh.

took mine in for a oil change out of convience, told them oil change only dont touch anything else..
they greased my new TRE's and blew the seals...by the time i looked under there it was to late to argue about it. gotta watch those guys.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
MoparMan1990
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Happened to me a year ago look my my dads 08 dodge nitro to goodyear and they came back saying 3 rims where bent I said bull**** and they where and they where bent on the inner side they did that because it's never hit a curb or nothing and then said a bearing was bad I reported there ***
post #10 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

During an oil change mechanics are taught to look over the vehicle while the oil is draining to look for problems so they can try to make more money. There are some honest people that will alert you to possible problems and leave it up to you if you want it fixed or not. Others will say you gotta have it done. My advice to anyone is be an informed consumer and learn about the vehicle you own so you don't get taken advantage of. I had a dealership try to rape me for $2000 so my jeep would pass inspection. I went right out to the mechanic who said he has been in the business for 20 years and tell him he was wrong. He tried to get me for things that are not required for inspection.
post #11 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

I was thinking the same thing,bunch of thieves..But what if you drive out of there and your diffs sieze,,.Not you just a regular citizen,their gonna call their lawyer and sue you for not telling them they were low on diff fluid..Damned if they do,damned if they dont..I still think there sales driven thieves,,

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #12 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan
Yes

WJ 2001 3.1TD

Tom
post #13 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
Yes
Bad experience?

post #14 of 43 Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Book time for ball joint replacement, all four, is 6hrs. Sounds like their labor rate is 105/hr.
About the only way to knock the price down is to either find a cheaper hourly rate, or someone who doesn't go by the book.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #15 of 43 Old 03-10-2012, 01:01 AM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

My advice is to ask yourself one question - does it get you from A to B? If yes, now it gets you from A to B with fresh oil, so forget about what Tires Plus told you. Since people are sharing crazy stories, took my Grand Am for those $40 alignments and came back with recommendations to get new wiper blades among other things like cv boots. ISYN, I replaced the wiper blades the day before with a Wal-Mart brand and showed the receipt to the manager. He later told me he explained to the technician the difference between needing new blades vs. quality blades (i.e. not wal-mart brand). I'd just take it as a free estimate of things to consider in the future. When I took my WJ to get the heated seat recall done, they did a free inspection, which noted a leaky drive shaft seal. Got it fixed on my own dime about 6 months later. If I told you there were scratches in your clear coat, would you have them resanded and clear coated for $200?

Brian's Black Betty Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.