Tires and Back spacing help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tires and Back spacing help

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
BOVWJ
2000 WJ 

Tires and Back spacing help

Sorry if this has been covered all ready.

I Have a set of M/T classic lock blacks 16x8 with 4" back spacing. I am trying to figure out what tire size will allow minimal to no trimming will work best. Due to the Backspacing I am not sure how much this will affect it. I was hoping for some 265/70 but I am a little worried about them rubbing to much. I will be running Rough Country 2" BB on a 2001 WJ (Daily drive)

any pics. on what and how much you did trim would be great
Thanks for your input.

BOVWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOVWJ
Sorry if this has been covered all ready.

I Have a set of M/T classic lock blacks 16x8 with 4" back spacing. I am trying to figure out what tire size will allow minimal to no trimming will work best. Due to the Backspacing I am not sure how much this will affect it. I was hoping for some 265/70 but I am a little worried about them rubbing to much. I will be running Rough Country 2" BB on a 2001 WJ (Daily drive)

any pics. on what and how much you did trim would be great
Thanks for your input.
Not sure about the backspacing, but I'm thinking you should go to a 4" lift in order to get those under there. I have a 4" lift and get occasional rubbing (lightly) on the bottom side of the front bumper. I haven't trimmed yet and don't really plan to.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

You should be able to get a 3 inch lift with no trimming for those tires. The 2" BB will require some trimming of the front bumper. I think there is a thread going around with a chart that shows the various tire sizes and lifts. [/QUOTE]
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
bcvetter
2004 WJ 

I run a 265/75/16 with no trimming. However when I wheel I rubs when flexed.

I have a 3" IRO with Bilsteins. I would go 3" IRO or OME. It's only a couple hundred more than a budget boost with good shocks.

Just my 2 cents
bcvetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
BOVWJ
2000 WJ 

I under stand the chart, But right now I am running 245/70 at stock height with zero trimming and rubbing. I would assume I could increase that a little bit with the 2" BB (right)? How much will the back spacing affect it? that's what I am more worried about.

Last edited by BOVWJ; 09-17-2013 at 05:16 PM..
BOVWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOVWJ View Post
I under stand the chart, But right now I am running 245/70 at stock height with zero trimming and rubbing. I would assume I could increase that a little bit with the 2" BB (right)? How much will the back spacing affect it? that's what I am more worried about.
My best guess is that the 4" BS on your 16x8 wheels will cause some additional issues (stock is 16x7 with ~ 6" of BS). On one hand, a wider tire (say 265) will clear your suspension components with no problem. On the other hand, the reduced BS will cause more clearance issues on your front bumper - the BS and wider wheel will amplify the problem, especially in reverse at full lock. Plan on trimming with a 2" BB, even if only increasing tire size to 245/75/16. In short, the BS and width of your choice of wheels will probably cause you to need to trim the bumper cover if you plan on bigger-than-stock tires.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
turrillas
2004 WJ 

I run my WJ with 265/70R17 with a 4" lift kit and they rub a little when I do an U turn and turning the steering wheel all the way, but is minor rubbing. Mine are BFG's all terrain.

turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.