Tired of Code Chasing! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tired of Code Chasing!

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #16
ravensfan1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
My tj had wires and a distributor, but didnt the newer 4.0 switch to coil packs? I could be wrong on my memory. I dont know on his specific year.
I have an '02 and it's a coil rail. I replaced that already since I kept getting the same three codes 0300, 0303, and 0304 every time. Once I replaced that the codes stopped for a couple weeks and came back.

I noticed some broken zip ties on the harness I moved away from the block so I really need to do an extensive inspection on the wiring. So far it's looking like I at least stopped the 0420 and the specific 3 & 4 cylinder codes. I'll run it for a few days and see what comes up and inspect the harnesses as I go to see if there's any other indications.

ravensfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
asatxj
2001 WJ 

Go to wjjeeps.com and do some reading about how/when codes pop up. that will help you understand how that works, your issues aren't temporarily going away, it's how the system recognizes them. Plenty of important knowledge there for those of us who don't like paying for stuff we can do.
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
ravensfan1976

So I went ahead and had my local Jeep dealership do a diagnostic test on it and apparently it needs a Crankshaft Position Sensor and a Transfer Case Control Switch. Naturally for parts and labor they wanted over $700, but I'm going to take this one on myself. From what I'm reading the CPS is a bit of a pain.
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

The CPS isn't a cake walk. But it's not impossible either. Did mine a couple months ago from under the Jeep by using extensions and swivels. You can put your fingers on it from under the hood and feel it...but there is a bracket in the way that makes it hard to get the socket onto the bolt. So going up from under the Jeep is easiest. Took about 30 minutes or so on mine.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
ravensfan1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
The CPS isn't a cake walk. But it's not impossible either. Did mine a couple months ago from under the Jeep by using extensions and swivels. You can put your fingers on it from under the hood and feel it...but there is a bracket in the way that makes it hard to get the socket onto the bolt. So going up from under the Jeep is easiest. Took about 30 minutes or so on mine.

Thanks for the heads up. Is the sensor something easy to spot from underneath or would it be easier to have an extra person on hand as guide if I have feel blindly for it since I'll need to use extensions and swivels to get to it?
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here are my thoughts on the Crankshaft Position Sensor: 2004 4.0 Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #22
ravensfan1976

Got both parts changed out. The Transfer Case Switch I was able to do myself. The Crankshaft position sensor was just too much of a pain no matter which way I tried. So I broke down and paid Merchant's $85 to do it lol.

Been a few days and other than some rough idling it's been running pretty well. No misfires as of yet *knocks on wood*
Unread 08-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

As for the missfire codes, I was chasing a few of them too. THEN it started hard starting, found out my fuel pump was only putting out around 8PSI. its suppose to be around 55PSI
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
ravensfan1976

Looks like I didn't knock on wood correctly haha. After two weeks of running well with no codes at all, I'm now getting the infamous P0420 code again. No misfire codes as of yet.

The interesting thing is that I didn't get the P0420 code until one day when I was sitting in traffic with the AC blowing and the engine temp gauge moved up and over 210. It didn't overheat thankfully, but I'm wondering if they're somehow tied together, even though the code came back after resetting, under normal driving conditions, and no high temp reading.
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #25
HighOutput
2003 WJ 

Did you change your 02 sensors?
HighOutput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #26
ravensfan1976

Not yet. I think that will be my next project. I'm hoping it's just that and I don't have to replace the Cat.
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:37 AM   #27
HighOutput
2003 WJ 

^ Buy Denso, oem replacement.
HighOutput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #28
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Prolonged idle time will allow the CAT to cool off and turn off.

But try your rear down stream sensor. That is the sensor that checks CAT efficiency.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #29
ravensfan1976

Ahhhh the codes never end lol. Now that the misfire codes are gone, the 0420 code disappeared on it's own for a few days, but recently came back with a 0352 and 1281 code.

I'm ready to just set the thing on fire and collect whatever insurance I can haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.