Tire Wear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tire Wear

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

Tire Wear

Ok so after i got my lift i got an alignment done at firestone. When they did my alignment there was something they said they couldnt adjust on my passenger side and it stayed in the red. Im not sure what it was due to my losing my print out. But recently i noticed i have a little uneven tread wear on the out tread block on both my front tires. Is this due to my alignment or bad front shock because mine started makin a very loud squeaking sound not too long ago. But i was going to go get another alignment at 4wheel Parts this time, but if its not my alignment i was going to use the extra cash on some new shocks.

Thanks

MikeeN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Seriously? This has been brought up in probably 3 threads in the past week.
1. You don't need an alignment after you lift a WJ.
2. Shocks don't do **** with an alignment.
3. The ONLY THING ADJUSTABLE IS "TOE".
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

1. Your alignment can be tweaked if you have adjustable control arms or a track bar and don't spit stuff like you don't need an alignment because that's bs if this has been posted a million times you would realize that's an incorrect statement. And thanks for stating the obvious about toe but your tow can be thrown off causing uneven tread wear try searching all these so called threads out there you talk about. Seems like i search more than you bud.
2. Where did you ever read shocks have something to do with alignment.
3. The time it took you to reply with absolutely zero help or strait up no point to your three sentences you could of just clicked the back button and continued on.
Unread 05-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

Has your rig EVER been in an accident, off roaded, hit a curb? Could be a bent control arm, frame, or other. The front suspension is only adjustable to a point. A component might be faulty, bent, etc. A shock won't affect alignment. But still, if its squeaking then its time to replace.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g using the JeepForum ap.
sixmikey9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

With the 2.5" lift he got, he probably didn't get an adjustable track bar. Even so, he wouldn't need an alignment, just adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel.

The toe will always be unaffected by a lift because the tie rod, axle, and knuckles all stay in the same orientation with respect to each other.

Wear on the outer edge of the tires is normal for the front end of a WJ, but could also indicate too much toe-in or too much positive camber (bent axle?).

OP, I would call up the Firestone where it was done and ask them to check their records for why it wasn't aligned out to spec and then we can go from there.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

What i was saying is ive read several things where bad shocks can mess up tire wear but i did hit a curb not to long ago in the snow but it wasnt very hard. Yeah thanks bilz ill get on that tomorrow. But yes i was in a side collision like 2 years back but the shopfixed everything atleast they said they did. My whole question was is another alignment worth it if i have a little bit of uneven tire wear?
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
Coolhand20th
1999 WJ 

Just out of curiosity what does your shop charge for an alignment? Because here its 35 plus tax for my Jeep and I take it in every two years just for peace of mind at that kind of price.
Coolhand20th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #8
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

jeez firestone was 75 and 4wheel parts wants 60! I need to find a shop for 35 around here haha
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Coolhand20th
1999 WJ 

This place has the newest Machine in Northeast Wisconsin. It's only two years old. They replace it every 3, and for the past 10 years I've lived up here its been 35 plus tax

Dealers bring their vehicles to this shop from 30-40 miles away because most of the machines locally are 5-8 years old, and they make so much money off of their's they can afford a new one every 3 years. And still make a bundle on it
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

ill have to shop around and look for a place like that here in the denver area everyone around here is 60+ and offroad shops tend to run even more!
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #11
Coolhand20th
1999 WJ 

I would if it was me. Even in the Chicago area where I used to live, the most I've paid down there was 50.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.