Tire recommendation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tire recommendation?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORS

Unread 01-29-2015, 02:01 AM   #1
copterdoctor
2004 WJ 

Tire recommendation?

To start, I have already spent hours using the search and can't find an exact answer, close but not quite. I am new here and new to Jeeps so forgive me.

I want to go up in tire size on my daughters Jeep. Current setup. 2004 GCL AWD 4.7L, new Rancho RS 5000 all around, 2" Rusty's off road BB spacers, stock 235/65/17. I have a line on a set of BFG Mud Terrain KO 255/75/17 for cheap. Will this work for DD. Just eyeballing it with wheels turned at every degree it looks like these tires may work, just a little tight. Saw a lot of very similar setups in pics on here but I don't know all the lingo for Jeeps so Im just not sure.

Daughter doesn't wheel off road and drives like a grandma. I don't mind a LITTLE plastic trimming to make these fit so that turning and backing is no issue. Our driveway does have some incline(about 10-15 degrees).

If I can't make these work can I go with a 255/70/17 or do I really need to go with a 245/75(or65)? Or maybe get some Overland springs to make those tires work? I really want these tires lol.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by copterdoctor; 01-29-2015 at 02:49 AM..
copterdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 04:24 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

255/70/17 would work. You might need some minor trimming.

2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
derekmac

2002 WJ 

You're going from a 29" tire to a 32" tire. I had minor rubbing on the inner fender liner with a 2" BB and 245/70-17 (30.5") tires. If she doesn't wheel you won't have to trim as much, but you are still going to be cutting. I'm picking up a set of the Mud Terrains (same size you're looking at) tonight, and I have my foglights cut out, and cut 2" of sheet metal off of the back of the front fenders, and also cut metal in the rear. Now, I wheel my rig, so you shouldn't have to go that extreme. The speedo will also be off. When it shows 60mph, you'll be going 66mph.

Can you go and try putting one of the tires on before you actually buy them?

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Both the 255/75R17 and 255/70R17 will likely be much too large for your goal of "a LITTLE plastic trimming". I'd stick with a 245/75R16 (245/70R17) or lower.

If you install overland springs with the BB, you'll be lifted in the 3" range meaning you'll need the extra parts associated with a 3" lift.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
copterdoctor
2004 WJ 

Derekmac, Thats what I am going to try and do this weekend. If the guy will meet me at the tire shop I will throw the two fronts on and do some testing. Definitely don't want to trim as much as you have but I get it, you wheel.

Chris, so you think it is simply too much. I am definitely afraid of that. Do you think I will have to trim metal for daily driving or just a lot of plastic. I am guessing the front and rear of the fender wells. Had to trim about 3" in these spots on my truck to fit 35's.
Unread 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

I honestly don't know how much you'll have to trim. On a street queen, I would assume you'd just be trimming plastic. I guess if you're determined, you could always bump-stop the crap out of it if you find they're digging at metal on speed bumps. You'd create a rough ride on bumps but wouldn't have to worry about rubber touching metal.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Anything larger than the 245/70-17 won't fit in the spare tire well.
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
copterdoctor
2004 WJ 

Well I guess I will pass on the 255's and go with 245 for now. Just too much to mess with at this time but I really appreciate everyones input.

With that being said does anyone know if the Goodyear silent armor tires are any good. I can get a brand new set of 4 245/70/17's for $380…I will offer $350. The reviews read pretty good so it seems like a good deal unless any of you guys think they are junk.
Unread 01-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #9
cNagy
1999 WJ 

Im picking up some 255/75/17 on jk wheels. Was really just wanting the wheels, but gave me good deal on tires too. Im stock right now, but putting on a 3 inch lift. There are a few members with a 2 inch lift and 32 inch tires. You can stuff them, but trimming will be required. I guess it depends on your preference. And silent armors are good tires. Brother has them on his dakota.
cNagy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.