Tire carrier questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tire carrier questions.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

Tire carrier questions.

Hey guys. The location of my spare inside the vehicle has been bugging me for awhile, reason being that I would just love to be able to use my spare well for storage of things that I don't use every day but keep in my Jeep; tie straps, blankets, towels, tools... You get the idea.

Ideally I would love to upgrade my rear bumper to one with a carrier, but unfortunately I just can't swing the proper funding to do my rear bumper, let alone my front bumper as I'd like to do them at the same time. Given this I've decided that my spare is gettin kicked to the roof. I figure that way in the future I can potentially carry two spares, or re purpose the roof carrier

So, first question for you guys running a roof mounted carrier; have you noticed a SEVERE difference in the way your jeep corners? I'm not racing this thing or anything but a little insight would be nice.

Second question, what brands are you guys finding works best? Any of them budget conscience but still high quality? How much did you pay for yours?

Any information from someone actually using a system like this would be great. Thanks

Cadoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
brianestep
2000 WJ 

The roof is a "decent" option, and you could either buy a basket and secure it to that, which I've tried on other vehicles, you lose the majority of your basket storage space. KOR (kevins off road) has a decent option that is only a tire carrier. That being said, I had mine on the roof thinking A) it looked kinda cool, and B) "even though it will suck to get off the roof, when will I ever actually have to do it?". Murphy's law is everywhere, and the one time you'll need that spare, it will be raining, dark, you will be by yourself, and there will be steep hills on every side of your WJ. Where are you going to throw that thing?

If you have a hitch, and if you don't, you should get one anyway... I did this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...76/index4.html

Paid about $100
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

Wow, not too shabby. Just to make sure I'm looking at this right, that's just welded to your existing hitch yes? You didn't replace the hitch? And haven't had any problems with rattling or anything? Any chance I could get you to share the design specs? or are they in that other thread a little deeper? Thanks for sharing.
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadoc08 View Post
Wow, not too shabby. Just to make sure I'm looking at this right, that's just welded to your existing hitch yes? You didn't replace the hitch? And haven't had any problems with rattling or anything? Any chance I could get you to share the design specs? or are they in that other thread a little deeper? Thanks for sharing.
Yes it is welded to the hitch. I don't have specs necessarily, we kind of just freestyled it, but all of the pictures should be in that thread. Probably further back. Any decent fabricator should be able to replicate it. The only "problem" is it bounces a bit when on rolling concrete highways. Must be the way they crown them... I don't notice it on asphalt. I need new springs and a rear ball joint too, so that probably doesn't help. I'll see if I can find the rest of those pictures.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

Yeah, probably not terribly helpful to have loose suspension components rockin the rear. I'm not a terribly skilled fabricator, but I bet between me and a few of my buddies we could rig up something pretty close. Thanks for the idea.
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

I have this: http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php

Mark is a great guy to work with.

Mine folds down 90 degrees. It tightens up very nicely in the receiver hitch without any wobble.

If I had a garage, welder and the know-how I would have made a swing-out carrier using the stock bumper.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Cadoc08
2000 WJ 

It look to be a pretty good product, but I don't see an option for the WJ that allows the use of the hitch as a hitch. I'll have to email them about it.
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
It look to be a pretty good product, but I don't see an option for the WJ that allows the use of the hitch as a hitch. I'll have to email them about it.
Maybe take a bike hitch carrier, weld a tire bolt holder to it, make it so that it can swing down when you pull out the pin.
The last carrier is the same idea I had in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
Maybe take a bike hitch carrier, weld a tire bolt holder to it, make it so that it can swing down when you pull out the pin.
The last carrier is the same idea I had in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
That's basically what the picture of above is...

Plus it doesn't address the fact that he wants to retain hitch usage, as the OP said in his last post, which you quoted him on, friend!
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Mark might be able to fab up the alternative mounting options, like mounting to either the left or right side of the reciever, but you will be cutting out a hole in the bumper.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.