time for a new front steel bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > time for a new front steel bumper

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 12-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
texlurch
2002 WJ 

time for a new front steel bumper

I've come to the point I need to build a bumper.
My 265/75 tires already are eating the rivets off the bumper at flex, and I am going to 285/75 shortly

Sine I already have the hidden hitch mounted, I don't need one of the "shovel" style aftermarket bumpers

Main issue is the clutch handle on the winch sticks just a little thru the teeth on the lower grill. So I am thinking I can extend the "flat" face of the bumper down a bit, then angle it back to the lower rad support. Also may look into modifying the lever to make it protude less. I need to see about "reclocking" the winch maybe also.....

I still have to get home, remove the bull bar, and take some measurements and straight edge the angles, but here is the initial thought.

I'll weld the shackle tabs thru the bumper, and on both sides, as well as tie them into the frame sections where the stock tow hooks were.
Right now the Fawkes tabs are my rock sliders and first approach angle impacts.

I remember seeing a thread somewhere that showed using 2x3 box inserted into the frame;that should give good support and strength.

Thinking 3/16 plate throughout, and a couple holes for new LED driving lights that can use the stock harness. Probably going to swap the KC's for a light bar across the top, in the dip in front of the grill.

Thoughts, suggestions, complaints?

First pic is the first draft of bumper, second shows the bullbar protection around the clutch lever. I would like to try and follow the stock lines as much as possible. No room for sharp angles on the WJ!

bumper-design.jpg   img_0776.jpg  
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I
...Right now the Fawkes tabs are my rock sliders and first approach angle impacts.
Just dropped in to say "Don't try this at home, folks".

As far as your build, what you've done with our product, and your future direction...

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
Just dropped in to say "Don't try this at home, folks".
wait... I coulda sworn I saw "custom rock sliders" on your web site???

Sometimes those rocks just need a little "persuasion"
img_1261.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
berndog67
2003 WJ 

your bumper build idea looks almost like the one im building, cuz i have the hidden winch mount as well and didnt want some huge bumper with the winch blocking the whole top half of the radiator, course im using 1/4 plate for all of it, so its angled instead of curved, but cant wait to see what u come up with, cuz i havent seen any hidden winch bumper builds i like yet
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Well I just got off the phone with tech and I can reclock the winch housing anywhere I want.
That opens up some options if I can relocate the clutch lever.
May end up with a remote extension to operate it, and truthfully it isn't that big a deal to power out the line; just slower than freewheeling it.

So nothing more will be done until Jan when I get home and take some measurements.

Berndog67; is yours mounted upside down similar to mine, between the rails?
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
steveandhiswj
2002 WJ 

If you end up selling that bull bar I'm interested
steveandhiswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandhiswj View Post
If you end up selling that bull bar I'm interested
It will be for sale after the bumper is done, but keep in mind it requires trimming the bumper, and possible the bottom of the frame, as it is raised up higher than the stock Fawkes mounts.
img_0819.jpg  
Unread 12-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Searching the web I found a comment that 2x4 box fits snug inside the frame rails.
I've seen a post on another forum with pics, but so much is blocked here at work I am not finding it.

Plan to insert the spare stand alone Fawkes tabs I have thru the bumper, and use at least one bolt thru them, the frame and 3/16 2x4 box to sandwich it all together.

Depending on interference inside the rails, I'll try and get back inside the frame a foot or so.
Use bolts from the inside thru the winch plates, and bottom thru the tow hook mounts, and outside-in thru the shackle tabs
And at least one per side somewhere back along the bottom
And the two hawse bolts will sandwich the bumper to the winch plate

That should make it pretty much bomb proof for a mount I think?
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

You should be looking for at least three spots for 1/2" bolts (per side), with about a foot square of clamping area (again, per side) against the uniframe for the mounts. How you spread that out is up to you, but you've seen how we do it.

With 3/16" plate, the bumper will not be overly heavy, but I would suggest that any recovery points get tied into the mounting system, and that the mounting system be 1/4" plate, angle, or box.

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
texlurch
2002 WJ 

k, noted. I'll upgrade the 2x4 going inside the frame to 1/4.
Bumper and recovery tabs will be welded to that, and bolted thru into frame from 3 sides, with at least 4-5 1/2 in bolts each side, plus the two on the hawse plate.

Something like this:
bumper-design-mounting-notes.jpg   bumper-design2.jpg  
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
berndog67
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Well I just got off the phone with tech and I can reclock the winch housing anywhere I want.
That opens up some options if I can relocate the clutch lever.
May end up with a remote extension to operate it, and truthfully it isn't that big a deal to power out the line; just slower than freewheeling it.

So nothing more will be done until Jan when I get home and take some measurements.

Berndog67; is yours mounted upside down similar to mine, between the rails?

yup, actually i cut triangles out of each side and bent the front lip back and welded it top and bottom, so it angles back from the fairlead just like yours
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
texlurch
2002 WJ 

more notes along the way..

I've been looking at various aftermarket bumpers and mounts
It looks like if I do mine all one piece like I planned, it will be very hard to get to the frame mounting bolts
So I think that the lower skid will be a second piece, that bolts to the bumper as well as the lower radiator support
I already have a piece of 1.25 roll bar tubing welded there as reinforcement, so it is easy to use that as a bottom mount
On the bumper face/flange I am thinking carriage/bumper bolts with smooth rounded heads so they are flush. Or maybe flush weld some regular bolts and smooth them out

More as plans develop
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
scorch05
2002 WJ 

What bull bar do you have on that? I've been looking for one like that for a awhile now.
scorch05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch05 View Post
What bull bar do you have on that? I've been looking for one like that for a awhile now.
AFAIK it's a Hunter brand; don't know the model as I got it used, but they are all over Fleabay.
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Looks like from this pic a 3x4 should fit snug. This is 3x3 1/4 wall box
img_1519.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.