Time for new bearings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Time for new bearings?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
nstevic01
1999 WJ 

Time for new bearings?

Im getting alot of play in the crank shaft, I'm assuming that the thrust bearing is shot. Thoughts?

Unread 11-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

leave it be, I know that may sound like a bad idea but if there are no abnormal noises from that engine I wouldn't think twice about that play you are seeing...simply proves that your crankshaft is getting good lubrication and the bearings are allowing freedom of movement to that crankshaft.

technically speaking too much endplay on a crankshaft is a bad thing, but realistically I would rather have too much endplay than too little.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
nstevic01
1999 WJ 

There is a couple of sounds coming from the motor at the moment. One sounds like some sort of pulley bearing failure that is intermittent, this lead me to discovering the crank movement. The other is almost like a light knocking noise. I used the stethoscope on pretty much everything and was unable to pinpoint the origins. I just want to do whatever preventative measures that are necessary to avoid killing the motor all together.

I'm debating a full rebuild at the moment since she has 178k on the clock, but aside from the crank movement and the noises listed above, it runs pretty smooth. So If I can get more use out of it by replacing something and not doing a rebuild, that would be preferred.
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

That does seem like excessive play in the crank. You could pull the oil pan and the thrust bearing for a visual inspection. How is your oil pressure?

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
nstevic01
1999 WJ 

Between just below and right at the center of the gauge.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Looks to me like it's more of a worn harmonic balancer vs. bad main bearings. IMO, with that much movement of the crank you would have some pretty serious engine noise. If you look closely at your video, you can see the outer ring of the balancer moving independent of the hub that's actually pressed onto the crank snout. I bet with a pry bar or large screwdriver you can probably replicate that movement with the engine off.

I'd replace the balancer and see if the movement continues.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
nstevic01
1999 WJ 

I see what your saying, that's pretty good news, Ill check for play with the pry bar and replace the balancer if necessary. I'll report back with any updates.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
nstevic01
1999 WJ 

Other things to do while there? I heard to do the timing cover gasket and related seals, which the kit says I have to do the oil pan gasket at the same time? May also tackle the rear main seal if the pan gasket is required.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Yeah, if you're going to replace the timing cover gasket you need to drop the pan. In your video you can see two bolts along the u-shaped part of the oil pan. Those go straight into the bottom of the timing cover.

It might not be a bad idea to do the oil pan gasket and RMS since you're going to be working in the same general area, not to mention they're common leaks so chances are it's time to do them anyway. It'd be a weekend's worth of work, but the parts are pretty cheap.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.