Is it time to get rid of the WJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is it time to get rid of the WJ?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Billmild

Is it time to get rid of the WJ?

I have had the WJ since 55,000 miles. It currently sits with 116,000 miles on it now. The car seems to run fine, but has a few issues. I don't know if it is worth it to fix it all or not.

Issues:
-Random Squeak by the front passenger wheel(might be swaybar bushings)
-Recycle Door on the HVAC is broke.
-Needs new shocks(Sounds like the only option is Bilsteins)
-Its 11 years old

If the random squeak is just swaybar bushings and a good chassis lube then that isn't a huge deal. The Recycle Door on the HVAC is a bigger deal and costly from what I understand to fix. I had the blend doors fixed right after I bought it back in 2010. Shocks will run about $270 for a set from Kolak. I feel like there are some other things that are going to come up. Overall the Jeep has been a good vehicle, and it does great in the snow and bad weather.

So do I keep it and fix all that stuff or sell it and get a newer Grand?

Billmild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
C5_WJ

Really depends on if you feel like taking on a car payment and want updated features/technology. The fixes you need really won't cost much in the grand scheme of things and 116k is nothing for these things(I've got 173k on mine). Also if you sell don't expect to get much as they really aren't worth anything.
BMW E36 3 series (beater)
C5_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
corpulent
2004 WJ 

The cost to repair a few small things is minor compared to the cost of a new(er) vehicle.

And Bilsteins are not the only option. Depending on your setup, you can go much cheaper and still have decent quality shocks.
corpulent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
losttech

2000 WJ 

It sounds like your just tired of the jeep if so I say sell it and get something you like.
I still love mine but its still new to me and I enjoy the small fixes I do to it.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
BroadStreetBull
2004 WJ 

It really comes down to you feel if it's economically worth it to purchase a newer grand, which will be MANY times the cost of those and future repairs, but enjoy the newer comforts and technology.
BroadStreetBull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

Fix the WJ!
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

time to sell. you are looking for excuses to take on a $500 per month payment.

all of those things can be fixed for less than $500 in parts, some time, and a few basic tools.

let one of us have that steal of a deal....

our 2001, 158K miles, new shocks last year $200 (monroe), new CKS a couple years ago (wonderful now), seats from a 2003 (way better), contemplating new stereo, but really, the thing runs like a rocket!
sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Billmild

Whoa whoa, I'm not looking for excuses. My concern is getting this stuff fixed for less than $1000. I am decently handy, but I have never taken on a job like the blend doors/recirc door. My blend doors are fine its just the recirc door that is broke.

It sounds like I could possibly fix all of these issues and keep driving the WJ for a while. I have taken good care of it thus far, and will continue to do so until the car is in someone else's hands.

One other issue I forgot to mention is the Large EVAP leak it has. It might be a bad hose on top of the tank, but it could be the leak detection pump. How hard is to drop the tank?
Billmild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
grussell
2001 WJ 

If you have a floor jack and the tank is fairly empty, its not a difficult job, a tow hitch adds to it.

Your Jeep is paid for, a newer vehicle equals a monthly payment.$400 payment is $4,800 per year. If you spent $2,000 on maintenance for your GC, your still ahead.
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

I would keep it I just bought another one my first one has 245k on it and runs great in the past 4 years I've only rplaced fluid lights and a tre much better than a car payment and more money in the bank
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmild View Post
I have had the WJ since 55,000 miles. It currently sits with 116,000 miles on it now. The car seems to run fine, but has a few issues. I don't know if it is worth it to fix it all or not. Issues: -Random Squeak by the front passenger wheel(might be swaybar bushings) -Recycle Door on the HVAC is broke. -Needs new shocks(Sounds like the only option is Bilsteins) -Its 11 years old If the random squeak is just swaybar bushings and a good chassis lube then that isn't a huge deal. The Recycle Door on the HVAC is a bigger deal and costly from what I understand to fix. I had the blend doors fixed right after I bought it back in 2010. Shocks will run about $270 for a set from Kolak. I feel like there are some other things that are going to come up. Overall the Jeep has been a good vehicle, and it does great in the snow and bad weather. So do I keep it and fix all that stuff or sell it and get a newer Grand?
You can just tie down the recirc door with, either wire or zip tie. It's just a matter of wanting fresh air or recycled cabin air.
You just drop the blower., lower panel under the glove box and tie it either closed or open.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
marcall
2004 WJ 

Pro tip ……all cars (even new ones, even the japanese makes) have problems , just different problems. I've been employed as a mechanic for 20 years , they all (new and old) have problems. What it boils down to imo is cost of parts for given vehicle/availability of parts (down time)/ease of working on (labor time)/ and whether the overall drivetrain and engine is sound. If you're talking about squeaks/rattles, accesories then again I will say that you're going to run into these problems on any vehicle. The luck of the draw and the previous history (the way it was maintained and the way it was operatedalso come into play).
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
bwiygul
2000 WJ 

I wired my recirc door closed as well. Maybe 30 minutes to an hour depending on whether orbit the phone rings during the job.

Tip: if you live in a cold climate where you may get humidity in the cab, wedge a small piece of cardboard in the door to prop it open just a tiny amount. I was fogging up a lot during the winter here in Colorado till I did this. Just a happy medium. Enough fresh but still gets warm in the cab.
bwiygul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.