Tie rods/sleeves and ball joints - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tie rods/sleeves and ball joints

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
fall50
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
Holy poo. That seems really, really expensive to me. Go to RockAuto and order the parts yourself. You should be able to do the TRE's (then take it for an alignment), but I'd leave the ball joints to a shop. You should also replace all four ball joints. Won't add much labour wise, and they're not that expensive.
I just don't know what's expensive and whats not? The shop I called today, refereed by a member on the board, wanted 1360.00 for that work using Moog parts. I called another one as well this morning and they wanted 1200.00

Now Iam questioning how my mechanic can really get this done for 700.00

4 Tie Rods and sleeves 350.00 (moog)
2 Lower Ball joints 350.00 (moog parts)

fall50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #17
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Round and round we go. Both other shops are WAY too much!
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
derekmac

2002 WJ 

RockAuto prices (in CAD)

MOOG front uppers are $16 a piece, front lowers are $48 a piece.
MOOG Pitman Arm to Steering Arm sleeve $23, Steering Arm To Steering Arm $29
MOOG Front Left Inner tie rod $27, Front Left Outer $27, Right Outer (Pitman Arm To Steering Arm) $27, Right Outer (Steering Arm To Steering Arm) $27.

That's $288 total (including upper ball joints, $256 without). My mechanic quoted me 3hrs labor to replace 4 ball joints and one TRE, so factor in (I'm guessing) another 2hrs for the rest of the tie rod work.

What's the hourly rate that he charges? At $70 an hour, that's $350, plus $256 would be $606 for a grand total, so I guess he's not that far off. I'm lucky and only pay $40 an hour for labor.

For the little extra it will cost, you really should replace the upper ball joints as well.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #19
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

In US dollars the Moog TREs are in the $45 range. Sleeves are $40 or so. I purchased everything online at Advance Auto and used a 30% discount code. The discount codes are out there...
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #20
Davidson82
2002 WJ 

Summit Racing

MOOG Pitman Arm to Steering Arm sleeve $23, Steering Arm To Steering Arm $29
MOOG Front Left Inner tie rod $27, Front Left Outer $27, Right Outer (Pitman Arm To Steering Arm) $27, Right Outer (Steering Arm To Steering Arm) $27.

really easy job. DIY four bolts! you will be sorry if u pay a shop.
Davidson82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
Olese
2000 WJ 

For what's involved in replacing tie rods, I think that it is too much. At Amazon, all four tie rods for a WJ, Moog's, are $107.42 and both sleeves are $57.98. If you have Amazon Prime, they ship for free. That's $165.40 for good parts and only $107.42 if you want to battle with getting the old tie rods off of the old sleeves....... get some PB Blaster!

If you don't have the tools, I think that most parts stores will loan them to you if you leave a deposit. It really isn't difficult, it's not complicated at all. There's plenty of YouTube videos if you've never done anything like it before.

3472 $26.27
3473 $28.99
3474 $26.36
3475 $25.80
1452 Sleeve $31.99
1453 Sleeve $25.99
Olese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #22
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

i just bought 4 tie rods, the 2 sleeves (which are not needed) a wix fuel filter, and all 8 coil spring isolators for $230 shipped
from rock auto.
and a "professional" alignment for $250... you guys are getting raped! oh wait its a 4 wheel alignment right..... on a solid axle rear?
no its only a front end alignment!!!! ONLY if you have adj rear control arms that might not be adjusted straight.....
i get mine done a a cooper tire dealer, i do not buy tires from him. i get alignments only. it takes a lil longer but i go out back talk to the kid who's doing the work. tell him what i want, incudling my castor angle. offer help on loosening up control arms. the answer is always "no" and i walk out under $100. actually it was $75 last one.
personally i wouldn't spend 400 for tie rods installed. its just soo easy!!!
ball joints are a pain as you need to strip a lot off the front end and then have a press, factor in the wj will be down for awhile. id do the tie rods myself and then have the ball joints done THEN get an alignment at a place of my choice.
Good luck
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olese View Post
For what's involved in replacing tie rods, I think that it is too much. At Amazon, all four tie rods for a WJ, Moog's, are $107.42 and both sleeves are $57.98. If you have Amazon Prime, they ship for free. That's $165.40 for good parts and only $107.42 if you want to battle with getting the old tie rods off of the old sleeves....... get some PB Blaster!

If you don't have the tools, I think that most parts stores will loan them to you if you leave a deposit. It really isn't difficult, it's not complicated at all. There's plenty of YouTube videos if you've never done anything like it before.

3472 $26.27
3473 $28.99
3474 $26.36
3475 $25.80
1452 Sleeve $31.99
1453 Sleeve $25.99
Those are great prices for Moogs on Amazon. If buying via Advanced Auto online, search for discount codes first.... there's one for 30% off. It's a one time deal so use/buy wisely. Also after you find the discount code, signup to MrRebates and use their link to AA to get 6% back.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #24
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quick question on the ball joints. If I were to do them myself what type would I get for the lower? What brand is the one that doesn't need greasing, just like oem. I can't remember. Thanks!
Unread 08-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
fall50
2000 XJ Cherokee 

840.00 for all four ball joints and Tie rods and Sleeves

Still to much?
fall50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #26
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

That's less ($800) than my shop here wanted. I had no idea what they were going to use for parts. Did it myself and I'm an idiot. Search my threads for my doing it. It is a pain but it CAN be done alone with a vice and pipe wrench +basic tools.

Had to source it out, that person offering $700 with Moog parts is the way I'd go. I'd find an alignment shop somewhere else for less than $100
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.