tick tick tick..... no zinc? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tick tick tick..... no zinc?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
meopilite
2002 WJ 

tick tick tick..... no zinc?

When i bought my Jeep (4.0L) there was no ticking. After having it a month i changed the oil and used QuakerState 10-30. Right after the oil change a lifter started ticking. I added some STP oil treatment and the ticking stopped went away. I heard that some oils dont have enough Zinc in them and that will cause ticking (and STP treatment does have Zinc).

So whats the best oil to use? What brand has the Zinc I need?

meopilite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Diesel Truck oil. Mobil TDT and Shell Rotella oil are some of those. Mobil 1 High mileage also has added zinc, mine loves it. This might be a bigger problem than Oil though because you shouldnt be noticing a huge difference. Somebody may have added something to shut it up so they could sell it quick. My sisters i6 runs on bottom of the food chain penzoil and my WJ used to as well until I owned it. Zinc is better for the engine but its not there to quiet down tick.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

I had a loud lifter tick in my newly rebuilt 4.0 it was really bad, to the point I was ready to replace the cam and lifters. I switched to mobile 1 high mileage and the tick is about 95% better. Hardly noticeable, I would switch your oil.
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

maybe quaker state just isnt one of those i6 oils. I've always run Mobil 1 high mileage for my changes and its great

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Oil treatments are garbage (for the most part). If your oil isn't good enough, get better oil. Adding to it won't fix anything. Mobil1 HM is great oil. You may want to do an engine flush (Auto-RX, Amsoil, LubroMoly are good) to help clean the oil passages and provide better flow to the lifters. And as compcrasher said, the zinc is there to prevent wear, not reduce ticking. Higher viscosity oils (such as M1HM 10w-30) will help with that.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As far as additives... I threw a 1/3 can of seafoam in when I used it and I left it in for a week or two before my oil change. Oil came out black as coal and new oil is still golden clean

Matt
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I consider that a flush, not an additive. It promises nothing but cleaner engines. Most of the products claiming to improve the oil do just the opposite.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Right right, I dont believe in additives I used it just to clean things out shortly before the oil change

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.