Thumping in rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thumping in rear

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Thumping in rear

I have been hearing clunking and thumping coming from my wj suspension that has a new 3" iro lift, adj track bar, adj upper and lower front ca's.
The noises were getting worse so I decided to crawl under and have a look around while someone pushed on the jeep laterally. I found that in the front the pass side sway bar link was loose and causing the clunking. I tightend it down and solved that problem.

The rear however has a lot of movement in the a-arm at the center and outer joints. When I drive the jeep it sounds like there are bowling balls bumping around in the spare tire well. I didnt see anything unusual in the rear control arm bushings from what I could tell.

Does this sound like I need new a arm joints? Do I need an adjustable a arm at 3" lift or would that be a waste of money? Do I need an a arm spacer at 3" lift?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
adavis39
2002 WJ 

U dont really need a new arm or spacer. But certainly sounds like u need a new ball joint
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
redsilver2
2004 WJ 

Outbackmatt .... did you ever fix/find the problem? I Just installed an IRO 4" LA Critical path lift and my WJ also sounds like bowling balls are bouncing around in the back when I hit a bump.
Wondering how it's going for ya.
Thanks for any info!
redsilver2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.