Thumping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thumping

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
jman_08
2004 WJ 

Thumping

So my 2004 Grand cherokee i have one more issue with i cant figure out?

When coming to a stop as the suspension settles there is one single thump i can feel i cant pinpoint where it is coming from but it sure does not feel like the front. I have read about stop bump i have already removed the driveshaft and put some automotive grease on it didnt help.

My mechanic cant find any suspension part that is lose or seems to be causing it
but i have tested to see still does it with the ebrake one 1 click but in neutral it does not do this at all. Only in drive will i get this thump. Also does it when coming to almost a complete stop and letting up on the brake.

Im at a loss at this one i should say before i bought this jeep 04 GC 4.0L laredo it was involved in a car accident. But was repaired properly or so it seems i hope the frame is not the cause of this thump also at about 60mph on the interstate if i get back on the gas there is a clunk but that feels and sounds like driveline slack.

jman_08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

I think you are on the right track with the thumping thing. Try it in lower gears too. If the fluids haven't been changed recently, I' d that or at least check the levels. When we changed our rear diff fluids, it firmed up the driveline feel. Went with synthetic 80w90.

Check transmission fluids too.
sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
jman_08
2004 WJ 

Ehhhhhh i was really hoping its not the rear end this thing only has 44K miles on it.
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Which driveshaft did you remove? Check the rear upper bj.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
jman_08
2004 WJ 

I will defenitly check that i was thinking about that. is there anybody who lives in the Omaha Nebraska area that is good with jeeps i can have look at this think if anybody knows Pm me or let me know thanks.
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
briandor
2004 WJ 

Most likely it's just the spline coming out of the transmission where the driveshaft connects. It needs to be greased occasionally otherwise it binds and the driveshaft loads up when the suspension shifts forward as you stop. Sometimes it will release after you come to a stop and many times it will release when you let off the brake to start moving again. There was a TSB on it and it is a very simple fix. You just have to remove the 4 small bolts connecting the driveshaft to the rear differential and undo the clamp holding the boot onto the transmission spline. From there remove the driveshaft and grease the spline up real good. If I remember right it is recommended to use a silicon grease because the heat causes the regular grease to get too soft and move from where it needs to be. Also make sure you mark the position of the driveshaft before you remove it so you don't rotate it when you put it back in otherwise you might get a driveshaft vibration because of the balance.

Your clunk when getting on the gas on the highway is most likely one of the u-joints on the driveshaft. You might as well check those while you have the driveshaft out and replace them if they seem excessively loose. They should be free to turn and not too tight but also shouldn't be so loose that they seem to wiggle or shift when turning. They should also be replaced if they feel notchy when you rotate them.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.