Three inch front lift on Repezza?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Three inch front lift on Repezza??

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
LarryDallas
2001 WJ 

Forgot to make my main point. From everything I have read, at some point the repezza DS will likely fail, it is just a matter of time. As long as you are cool with that then go for it!

Unread 09-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDallas View Post
Forgot to make my main point. From everything I have read, at some point the repezza DS will likely fail, it is just a matter of time. As long as you are cool with that then go for it!
Thats a good point and mine is original with 108,000 miles on it....so if it fails shortly after the lift then I cant really just blame it on the lift as I dont know how clopse it is to the end of its life anyway.

Got under the car with the inclinometer and the change of drive shaft angle will be just under 3 degrees from what is is now....not a lot really.
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Navy75
2002 WJ 

why not just do the double cardigan conversion while your under there? I did it on mine for $50 and about an hour of work.
Find a V8 ZJ being parted out to get the transfer case yoke and drive shaft and your golden.
Navy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy75
why not just do the double cardigan conversion while your under there? I did it on mine for $50 and about an hour of work. Find a V8 ZJ being parted out to get the transfer case yoke and drive shaft and your golden.
. So that's what I need as well? Off a zj with a v8?? Hmmm... Funny because I've got a zj with the 4.0 sitting in my driveway about to be parted out. But thanks, I have been trying to find what models I could get a new shaft from.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Navy75
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloew275 View Post
. So that's what I need as well? Off a zj with a v8?? Hmmm... Funny because I've got a zj with the 4.0 sitting in my driveway about to be parted out. But thanks, I have been trying to find what models I could get a new shaft from.

Yup. There's all sorts of confusing post out there of what people have said works and doesn't work. This setup fit mine (with the 4.0) and a 6" lift.
Navy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
LarryDallas
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Thats a good point and mine is original with 108,000 miles on it....so if it fails shortly after the lift then I cant really just blame it on the lift as I dont know how clopse it is to the end of its life anyway.

Got under the car with the inclinometer and the change of drive shaft angle will be just under 3 degrees from what is is now....not a lot really.
Obviously changing the angle causes issues, hence why so many go bad after even a small lift. That being said, my WJ had a repezza originally from the factory. It was causing vibrations with less than 20k miles new and the rig was completely stock. Under the TSB they changed it under warranty. So, obviously it is a weak design and can go bad without even changing the angle.

Like they always say, I guess every jeep is different. Some guys have good luck with the repezza, others not so much. I was lucky mine had issues from the start and I got a free upgrade!
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy75 View Post
why not just do the double cardigan conversion while your under there? I did it on mine for $50 and about an hour of work.
Find a V8 ZJ being parted out to get the transfer case yoke and drive shaft and your golden.
Because ive never seen one with a DC shaft over here....they are that rare..at least where I live....let alone in the breakers. All seem to have reps. I would have to get a new one or import from the US at your amazingly high postal charges (about double ours!) although still might be worth it with the cost of them here!! And then there are the yolks as well....although i have seen some on line that are DC but have adapters to bolt up to repezza flanges so no pinion nut removal or new pinions!
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #23
rloew275
2001 WJ 

So that's what my cv joint on the front shaft looks like!!

image-2088648371.jpg

image-3882195353.jpg

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrew View Post
I'm gonna follow this.
I have the RZ-RZ front driveshaft.
Installed 2" over springs a year ago and no noticeable difference. I did new isolators at that time.
Just recently I added the 3/4" spacers in the front. got DW a few times and went and loosened all the control arms and torqued em down at ride height again. It seemed to tame the DW.
But I have noticed a new sound. kinda like a dragging sound. hard to describe but the buttdyno knows its there. I checked the front end and found nothing unusual. no dragging caliper, ball joints and TRE's are good, and the wheel bearings are good.
I was thinking on the RZ-RZ DS and the wear pattern you mentioned Alfaialia.
Don't have any other info but thought I'd share my story and see whats happens.
UPDATE:
Well thursday I hear a cv popping loudly. I has a ton of errands and just kept driving. Turning and deceleration made it pop worse.
Friday there was no noise. Weird??
Saturday I pulled the front shaft and sure enough. It was toast.
So it looks like a few months after the spacers and a year after the lift. Im guessing the noise was the balls grinding themselves till they fell out.
Here's a pic cause you guys love the carnage.
roadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #25
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Well I had to fit a new a new front drive shaft but not because of the lift......but because I bent it after the full weight of the Jeep landed on it when I slipped sideways on the trail and landed on a tree stump. I had to put a brand new rep to rep one in as I could not get hold of a double carden one the right length (830 mm). It seems the crd shaft is a unique length and a 4.slo or a V 8 one won't fit. So my theory that they only fail because they were old to start with or because of the wear pattern they have developed will be put to the test. If it falls too soon I will have to consider a custom shaft....!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
rloew275
2001 WJ 

I did the swap today from the repezza to the double cardan. Got my yoke off of Kolak. Which I will recommend to anybody. And got my driveshaft from a v8 wj. Everything went smooth and that's why I should have suspected something was wrong.. Nothing ever goes this smooth for me.. Jump in the jeep afterwards and pull it out on the road. At this point I'm in 2 wheel drive.. Everything feels good till I hit 60mph. Then the vibrations start... And they are almost as bad as they were with my busted cv joint on the old shaft: annoying as hell. Then switch it to 4x4 at low speeds and it felt good. Didn't notice any vibes but it was low speed. Felt good to have both axles powered again. But I'm guessing this is one of two things... I grabbed a bad driveshaft from the junk yard that might need rebuilt, or my busted cv joint caused so much damage that it even affected the transfer case... I had no vibrations at all when I had the front shaft pulled for a month. Any input? Opinions?

Unread 11-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Make sure you have the U-joints seated properly in both yokes. Each yoke will have two little ridges cast in them to center the U-joint, they're a snug fit and can be a little tricky to get lined up just right.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.