Three inch front lift on Repezza?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Three inch front lift on Repezza??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Three inch front lift on Repezza??

I think I know the answer but here goes. My CRD has UC springs (1in over standard height) as standard and I have 3/4 pucks all round. She has the classic slightly nose down look that all WJs have from the factory and I want to level her off a bit. My plan is to remove the 3/4 in pucks fron the front and fit 2in ones there and leave the 3/4 at the rear. This combined with my UC springs would mean a 2 inch gain over my front factory height or a 3 inch gain over standard spring height. Now the question is will my rep/rep front driveshalt be able to work at that angle or not. Just wanted to hear from people with a similar lift to see what had happened to their driveshafts.
A friend lifted his WJ by 3 in and the ds went bang very quickly. Because he had access to one he fitted another, new, repezza shaft and that has been on there 20,000miles now and is still silent. This makes me think that how the shaft has worn in use (wear patterns) and then a sudden change to working at a different angle causes the problems rather than just the angle....dunno! Mine has been driving fine at 1.75in of lift so will another 1.25in of lift kill it....that cant be much of an angle increase to my mind.....might jack her up an inch an a half to measure!
Being un the UK, swapping out my shaft for a double cardan shaft will not be that easy and I will probably have to import part from the US as wj and XJ models are about as common as hens teeth in the breakers over here.

As always I look forward to you views.

Unread 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
1999wjlimited
1999 WJ 

My front driveshaft failed less than a mile from my house after installing the bb. That being said I drove without a front driveshaft for 7 months so you will be fine if it does fail to wait for a new one to be shipped over the pond.
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I'm 2.75 over stock in the front as of today...RZ-RZ...we'll see how long it lasts...
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
thechainrule

Mine went on the second day driving to work, still looking for a replacement.
thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

I'm gonna follow this.
I have the RZ-RZ front driveshaft.
Installed 2" over springs a year ago and no noticeable difference. I did new isolators at that time.
Just recently I added the 3/4" spacers in the front. got DW a few times and went and loosened all the control arms and torqued em down at ride height again. It seemed to tame the DW.
But I have noticed a new sound. kinda like a dragging sound. hard to describe but the buttdyno knows its there. I checked the front end and found nothing unusual. no dragging caliper, ball joints and TRE's are good, and the wheel bearings are good.
I was thinking on the RZ-RZ DS and the wear pattern you mentioned Alfaialia.
Don't have any other info but thought I'd share my story and see whats happens.
roadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Mav-Jason
1999 WJ 

Interesting theory. I'm about to go up 3 - 3.5 depending on what I get out of OME MDs, new ISOs, and a 1" spacer. So I will test this one too.

Black '99 WJ 4.0 Selec-Trac~ OME MDs w/ .75" Spacers, Bilseins, JKS ADJ. TB,
Moog SS, Moog HD TREs/ Sleeves, Ext Rear Links, 16x8 Ion Alloys, 32" BFG Wrangler Authorities
Mav-Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Linus
2004 WJ 

I've got 2" BDS coils and 3/4" spacers, so I am at 2.5-2.75" over stock. I have the U joint on the axle and RZ on the transfer case. The RZ joint lasted about 9 months before it broke. I also have been running without a front drive shaft for a few months and it runs fine. Just going to get with Carolina Drive Shaft to get a new one later this year.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Having gone under for a butchers I assume its the rear cv on the front shaft (the one on the TC) that fails because at the 1.75 inches i'm at now the joint to the diff is running virtually straight but the transfer case CV (repezza) is working at a bit of an angle. I jacked to body up to were it would be with the extra 1.25 inch of lift (3 total) and i could not even measure the change in angle so it must be tiny. Think I will just do it.....if the shaft eats itself I wont be able to say no one told me and Ill get a double cardan one!
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I am on 3 inches and even with the rear boot torn my driveshaft is still going strong.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

My repezze/repezza lasted almost a year on a 6" lift. And it was wheeled.

It would keep popping on full flex or extreme flex.

That said...

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
fast540
1999 WJ 

I think it depends a lot on the condition of the joints before the lift. Mine lasted fine lifted till I got in the rocks. It didn't like wheeling in rocks
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
MWF
2002 WJ 

I say go for it. The repezza is so cheap and easy to replace anyway.
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I say go for it. The repezza is so cheap and easy to replace anyway.
Going to! Just looking for some 2 inch spacers now......not exactly common over here and postage from the States is silly. Have posted on here to find some cheap second hand ones.....no replies so far but Im a patient man!
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
I think it depends a lot on the condition of the joints before the lift. Mine lasted fine lifted till I got in the rocks. It didn't like wheeling in rocks
I agree with this Completely, I had no issues at all with my front shaft. wheeled it a few times and was rough on it in a couple of mud holes.. went ahead and threw a bb on it and the next day i started getting a clunk from the tcase end when i was in 4x4. 2 months since the bb install and i know have the roughest highway vibration known to man. I will be pulling mine this weekend and driving without it for a little while till i can find a junkyard with a good front shaft.

Having said this... i have talked to many people who have had no issues with the repezza at 2", 3" or even 4". and the OP is right, there is barely a change in the angle ... when your on the road anyway, flex it a little bit and you will be pushing those angles to a new extreme that the repezza hasn't seen yet.

just my .02
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
LarryDallas
2001 WJ 

I went the same route and added a 2" BB to my UC springs. I did it just because of the cost effectiveness. That being said, I should have just gone with coils. I did not have to worry about the front DS since mine was changed under warranty to the double cardan (score!). Keep in mind you'll want to get new shocks for that new height if you haven't already.

Since I have the original UC springs and stock isolators (94k miles) I have around 1/3" of sag too. Again, not a big deal, but usually springs and isolators that old have more sag than that, so I made out pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.