JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Three inch front lift on Repezza?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/three-inch-front-lift-repezza-1595369/)

alfaitalia 09-17-2013 09:47 AM

Three inch front lift on Repezza??

I think I know the answer but here goes. My CRD has UC springs (1in over standard height) as standard and I have 3/4 pucks all round. She has the classic slightly nose down look that all WJs have from the factory and I want to level her off a bit. My plan is to remove the 3/4 in pucks fron the front and fit 2in ones there and leave the 3/4 at the rear. This combined with my UC springs would mean a 2 inch gain over my front factory height or a 3 inch gain over standard spring height. Now the question is will my rep/rep front driveshalt be able to work at that angle or not. Just wanted to hear from people with a similar lift to see what had happened to their driveshafts.
A friend lifted his WJ by 3 in and the ds went bang very quickly. Because he had access to one he fitted another, new, repezza shaft and that has been on there 20,000miles now and is still silent. This makes me think that how the shaft has worn in use (wear patterns) and then a sudden change to working at a different angle causes the problems rather than just the angle....dunno!:confused: Mine has been driving fine at 1.75in of lift so will another 1.25in of lift kill it....that cant be much of an angle increase to my mind.....might jack her up an inch an a half to measure!
Being un the UK, swapping out my shaft for a double cardan shaft will not be that easy and I will probably have to import part from the US as wj and XJ models are about as common as hens teeth in the breakers over here.

As always I look forward to you views.

1999wjlimited 09-17-2013 09:53 AM

My front driveshaft failed less than a mile from my house after installing the bb. That being said I drove without a front driveshaft for 7 months so you will be fine if it does fail to wait for a new one to be shipped over the pond.

Ravie 09-17-2013 10:11 AM

I'm 2.75 over stock in the front as of today...RZ-RZ...we'll see how long it lasts...

thechainrule 09-17-2013 11:23 AM

Mine went on the second day driving to work, still looking for a replacement.

roadcrew 09-17-2013 11:37 AM

I'm gonna follow this.
I have the RZ-RZ front driveshaft.
Installed 2" over springs a year ago and no noticeable difference. I did new isolators at that time.
Just recently I added the 3/4" spacers in the front. got DW a few times and went and loosened all the control arms and torqued em down at ride height again. It seemed to tame the DW.
But I have noticed a new sound. kinda like a dragging sound. hard to describe but the buttdyno knows its there. I checked the front end and found nothing unusual. no dragging caliper, ball joints and TRE's are good, and the wheel bearings are good.
I was thinking on the RZ-RZ DS and the wear pattern you mentioned Alfaialia.
Don't have any other info but thought I'd share my story and see whats happens.

Mav-Jason 09-17-2013 11:54 AM

Interesting theory. I'm about to go up 3 - 3.5 depending on what I get out of OME MDs, new ISOs, and a 1" spacer. So I will test this one too.

Linus 09-17-2013 01:01 PM

I've got 2" BDS coils and 3/4" spacers, so I am at 2.5-2.75" over stock. I have the U joint on the axle and RZ on the transfer case. The RZ joint lasted about 9 months before it broke. I also have been running without a front drive shaft for a few months and it runs fine. Just going to get with Carolina Drive Shaft to get a new one later this year.

alfaitalia 09-19-2013 09:58 AM

Having gone under for a butchers I assume its the rear cv on the front shaft (the one on the TC) that fails because at the 1.75 inches i'm at now the joint to the diff is running virtually straight but the transfer case CV (repezza) is working at a bit of an angle. I jacked to body up to were it would be with the extra 1.25 inch of lift (3 total) and i could not even measure the change in angle so it must be tiny. Think I will just do it.....if the shaft eats itself I wont be able to say no one told me and Ill get a double cardan one!

metalhead 09-19-2013 01:19 PM

I am on 3 inches and even with the rear boot torn my driveshaft is still going strong.

gcjeeping 09-19-2013 01:41 PM

My repezze/repezza lasted almost a year on a 6" lift. And it was wheeled.

It would keep popping on full flex or extreme flex.

That said...http://www.gaglio.co.uk/genesis/imag...g_animated.gif

fast540 09-19-2013 02:27 PM

I think it depends a lot on the condition of the joints before the lift. Mine lasted fine lifted till I got in the rocks. It didn't like wheeling in rocks

MWF 09-20-2013 02:03 AM

I say go for it. The repezza is so cheap and easy to replace anyway.

alfaitalia 09-26-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWF (Post 16164641)
I say go for it. The repezza is so cheap and easy to replace anyway.

Going to! Just looking for some 2 inch spacers now......not exactly common over here and postage from the States is silly. Have posted on here to find some cheap second hand ones.....no replies so far but Im a patient man!:)

rloew275 09-26-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast540 (Post 16150713)
I think it depends a lot on the condition of the joints before the lift. Mine lasted fine lifted till I got in the rocks. It didn't like wheeling in rocks

I agree with this Completely, I had no issues at all with my front shaft. wheeled it a few times and was rough on it in a couple of mud holes.. went ahead and threw a bb on it and the next day i started getting a clunk from the tcase end when i was in 4x4. 2 months since the bb install and i know have the roughest highway vibration known to man. I will be pulling mine this weekend and driving without it for a little while till i can find a junkyard with a good front shaft.

Having said this... i have talked to many people who have had no issues with the repezza at 2", 3" or even 4". and the OP is right, there is barely a change in the angle ... when your on the road anyway, flex it a little bit and you will be pushing those angles to a new extreme that the repezza hasn't seen yet.

just my .02

LarryDallas 09-26-2013 04:25 PM

I went the same route and added a 2" BB to my UC springs. I did it just because of the cost effectiveness. That being said, I should have just gone with coils. I did not have to worry about the front DS since mine was changed under warranty to the double cardan (score!). Keep in mind you'll want to get new shocks for that new height if you haven't already.

Since I have the original UC springs and stock isolators (94k miles) I have around 1/3" of sag too. Again, not a big deal, but usually springs and isolators that old have more sag than that, so I made out pretty good.

The time now is 03:51 AM.