? For those who have installed a hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ? For those who have installed a hitch

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
OHbowhunter
1999 WJ 

? For those who have installed a hitch

My Rigid hitch came in today and after work I had a few minutes to tinker a bit to see how hard it might be to install.

The only issue I see is getting the rusted tight as all get out bolts that hold the gas tank skidplate.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides spraying them with penetrating oil to get them out? Dang things wont budge and don't really feel like breaking them, drilling and re-tapping.

BTW for those who want a hitch and don't want to mess with cutting the bumper and adding a bezel, this is the hitch to use. I wouldn't recommend it for offroaders due to clearance issues though.

Just by holding it up, it looks like the receiver comes out just below the bumper. Perfect for all I need it for.

OHbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
RustedBike
2003 WJ 

I had a good time installing the hitch... Had to use a braker bar to remove the skid plate bolts, they were tuff. lucky I didn't brake the bolts. with no air tools... I had to strong arm the bolts all the way out, then all the way back in. use a floor jack to hold hitch in place,you can do it alone.
RustedBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Impact wrench and penetrating oil everyday for about a week before you attempt it.

Also, cutting the bumper is ridiculously easy since they stamp the pattern you need to cut right to the bumper. Just follow the lines. And I dont have the bezel and you really cant tell that its supposed to have one. I think the hitches that hang below the bumper look terrible. They just dont look stock at all and stick out like a sore thumb. Just my 2 cents.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
OHbowhunter
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the info.
OHbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.