Thinking about Treadwrights for the Dub, a few questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thinking about Treadwrights for the Dub, a few questions...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Thinking about Treadwrights for the Dub, a few questions...

The tires that came on my WJ are down to about 7/32 all the way around so I'm going to need tires fairly soon. They are HT tires (Nexens) which have actually been surprisingly good, but I'm wanting to replace with AT's.

I've been looking at the Treadwrights but I'm not settled yet. A few things I don't understand for sure. I have 245/70/16's right now which are 29.5", but the Treadwright Puma that is 29.5" is actually a 225/75/16. Is the extra diameter from the recap tread? Can I run these as a straight replacment for my 245/70's?

Another question...most new tires I've looked at are rated for 44 psi max. The Treadwrights are 80 psi. Are you supposed to run these at a much higher inflation rate? I normally run the current tires at about 40 psi.

Thanks!

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
dirtyd851
2002 WJ 

The tires are load range E, thats why 80 psi is recommended as the max. However that is the max, they can still be ran at a lower psi but the tire carcass will be stiffer than what you're used to. The "75" is the aspect ratio, which is a larger percentage than "70"...and it seems like Treadwright has slightly different measurements for a given tire size probably partly due to retreading?
dirtyd851 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Wisco-WJ
2000 WJ 

Usually, at least from what I know, the reason the 225-75 Tread wright is the same height as the 245-70 is because being that the Tread wright is a 75, even though that measurement is mainly for width, it also effects the height. So being that the 75 is fatter then the 70, it also makes it a little taller to. So when you compare the 225-75 to a 245-70, check the difference between the wedith to. Also, as stated above, 80psi is for load range E. But by no means do you have to run 80psi. Good luck on your search for new tread!
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco-WJ View Post
Usually, at least from what I know, the reason the 225-75 Tread wright is the same height as the 245-70 is because being that the Tread wright is a 75, even though that measurement is mainly for width, it also effects the height. So being that the 75 is fatter then the 70, it also makes it a little taller to. So when you compare the 225-75 to a 245-70, check the difference between the wedith to. Also, as stated above, 80psi is for load range E. But by no means do you have to run 80psi. Good luck on your search for new tread!
No, no, no, friend. The 245 or 225 is the width, the 70 or 75 is the aspect ratio used to achieve height, which combined with the wheel size, makes the diameter. So the 245/70/16 is wider. Consequently it is also taller (as in the amount of tread between wheel and ground). 245/70/16 is a true 29.5" tire. 225/75/16 is about 29.3".
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
brianestep
2000 WJ 

To expand:

245 is the width in millimeters. 70 is the percentage of that width as applied to height.

245mm x.70=171.5 mm.

You then convert to inches:

171.5mm/25.4 (mm in an inch) = 6.75"

Since that is the sidewall height, and there is a "top" and "bottom" sidewall, you multiply by 2.

6.75" x 2= 13.5". Add the wheel diameter of 16" to get 29.5".
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Wisco-WJ
2000 WJ 

That's right, I always get the two mixed up! I suppose I should check into the stuff quick like that before I post
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

To the OP an E rated tire is just to stiff a side wall for a mere jeep . Hell thats what i run on my super duty , an it crosses the scales at almost 8k . Even dropping the air pressure is not going to help much .
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
To expand:

245 is the width in millimeters. 70 is the percentage of that width as applied to height.

245mm x.70=171.5 mm.

171.5mm/25.4 (mm in an inch) = 6.75

Since that is the sidewall height, and there is a "top" and "bottom" sidewall, you multiply by 2.

6.75mm x 2= 13.5". Add the wheel diameter of 16" to get 29.5".
This is the only post in this thread that makes any kind of sense at all. Although, keep in mind, treadwrights do tend to run a little tall. The 225 will be about an inch skinnier than your current 245. Also, the max psi is only a remark on the strength and stiffness of the sidewall. It is not what you should actually run. There is a calculation floating around, I dont remember all of it offhand, but it takes into account the weight of your jeep and the load range of the tire. IIRC a load range E should be run around 30 psi, somewhere around there. Load range C should be run about 28. This will give optimum wear on the tire without being over or under inflated.

Edit: And a remark about the treadwrights, I ran the guard dogs on my last dub and loved them! They were amazing tires. I put about 17k miles on them and they still looked like new when I sold them. My next tires will be treadwrights once my BFG KMs wear down.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
This is the only post in this thread that makes any kind of sense at all. Although, keep in mind, treadwrights do tend to run a little tall. The 225 will be about an inch skinnier than your current 245. Also, the max psi is only a remark on the strength and stiffness of the sidewall. It is not what you should actually run. There is a calculation floating around, I dont remember all of it offhand, but it takes into account the weight of your jeep and the load range of the tire. IIRC a load range E should be run around 30 psi, somewhere around there. Load range C should be run about 28. This will give optimum wear on the tire without being over or under inflated.

Edit: And a remark about the treadwrights, I ran the guard dogs on my last dub and loved them! They were amazing tires. I put about 17k miles on them and they still looked like new when I sold them. My next tires will be treadwrights once my BFG KMs wear down.
Haha I do what I can with what little I have. I run my Guard Dog E's at 31.5 psi's, and they seem to love it. Without doing calculations, I do the chalk test to determine wear pattern, and then fine tune with a balance between rideability and gas mileage. I don't know if the Pumas are available with "kedge grip", but I would advise against it if you have a DD in a reasonably mild climate. I have ran both kedge and non, and while I think there is a noticeable difference in both offroad and inclement onroad handling, the wear about 20% faster, and really amplify any suspension-related wear issues.
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Oh boy I have more questions than before. I guess I need to do even more reading. I thought the Jeep was supposed to have an E rated tire? Too stiff? Well they had another size I thought would also work that was P rated and showed the 44 psi max but I ruled it out because of the P rating.

Are E tires really too much? I'd probably run them around 40 psi if they don't have to be aired way up. Sounds like they are tougher tires which is appealing.

Unread 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Okay I was looking at these, E rated Pumas. They suggest 6" rims though I think mine are 7".

https://www.treadwright.com/p-20-225...uma-a-t-e.aspx

These are P rated, are 7" and also 29.5" diameter.

https://www.treadwright.com/p-90-p23...uma-a-t-p.aspx

Which is better for a DD Dub? I do like to go off the pavement when I can but I'm not a serious wheeler by any means, WJ is straight stock.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

I run E-rated tires from treadwright at well under 80psi. They've been amazing for the 10k miles I've had them
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

E rated are just going to be pretty stiff, which you will be able to feel on road. If you offroad often, airing them down will not have the same effect as a lower rated tire because the sidewalls just wont flex enough to help you with traction. Also, 40 psi is way too much for our Jeeps. Remember, tire pressure is based more on the vehicle than it is the tire. Our WJs should be run between 27-32 psi depending on the load rating of the specific tire. P rated tires would probably run around 26-27, though, I have never heard of anyone using P rated tires offroad because I believe they have really really soft sidewalls. IMO, C rated tires are best for the weekend warrior. They will give you decent on road performance, while still being tough enough offroad. WJs are too light for E rated. They will work just fine, they will just be a little harsher ride on road.

As far as rim width, 225 is roughly 9 inches wide. Rims should be around 4 inches smaller than the tire. So your 7 inch wheels are a little big for that tire, but they will still work. They will lose the bead a little easier, but probably not easily enough for you to worry about it. 225 is pretty skinny for a WJ IMO though. I would stick to a 245 if you can.

Edit: Looking through treadwrights website, they have made a lot of changes, though, it looks like they are keeping up with what they have listed now. They really dont have much for under a 31" tire. Especially in a 16" wheel. They have a lot more options for me now though

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
E rated are just going to be pretty stiff, which you will be able to feel on road. If you offroad often, airing them down will not have the same effect as a lower rated tire because the sidewalls just wont flex enough to help you with traction. Also, 40 psi is way too much for our Jeeps. Remember, tire pressure is based more on the vehicle than it is the tire. Our WJs should be run between 27-32 psi depending on the load rating of the specific tire. P rated tires would probably run around 26-27, though, I have never heard of anyone using P rated tires offroad because I believe they have really really soft sidewalls. IMO, C rated tires are best for the weekend warrior. They will give you decent on road performance, while still being tough enough offroad. WJs are too light for E rated. They will work just fine, they will just be a little harsher ride on road.

As far as rim width, 225 is roughly 9 inches wide. Rims should be around 4 inches smaller than the tire. So your 7 inch wheels are a little big for that tire, but they will still work. They will lose the bead a little easier, but probably not easily enough for you to worry about it. 225 is pretty skinny for a WJ IMO though. I would stick to a 245 if you can.

Edit: Looking through treadwrights website, they have made a lot of changes, though, it looks like they are keeping up with what they have listed now. They really dont have much for under a 31" tire. Especially in a 16" wheel. They have a lot more options for me now though
Absolutely agree with this. I run E's because the majority of my offroading doesn't require airing down, but is done on sharp rocks. I prefer the stiffer sidewall. As far as the ride, my butt calloused up pretty fast and now it feels like a Cadillac.
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
wvracer821
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
To expand:

245mm x.70=171.5 mm.

171.5mm/25.4 (mm in an inch) = 6.75"

6.75" x 2= 13.5". Add the wheel diameter of 16" to get 29.5".
Well played sir, well played
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.