Thinking about getting a wj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thinking about getting a wj

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Thinking about getting a wj

I am thinking about selling/ trading my tj for a wj, preferably a v8. I found an overland I like, what is everyone's opinions on this? http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/4036100174.html
2003 overland 174k 4500

If the link doesn't work, 2003 overland with 174k for 4500. I haven't looked at it yet just wanted to see if it was a good deal or if I need to keep looking.

jamesrw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

Lot of miles for that price. If they can produce documentation on all service performed then ok. Get a carfax off their VIN and make sure there is nothing to worry about in the history. Take it to a good mechanic for a once over, it's worth the money to discover any trouble before dropping the cash on it.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

What kind of price would be about right for it?
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

It is going to depend on what shape the WJ is in. If it has no issues other than mileage, see if you can knock a couple hundred off. If there are rust issues or other big things you see, then either walk away or offer a lot less. Really it depends on the shape its in. I got my son's WJ for $400 off what the guy was asking due to a water pump leak and some other minor stuff. Ultimately you have to decide if it's worth it.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Looks to be in good shape for the miles.

No matter how well maintained it's been at that mileage it will still probably need some odds & ends.

If you go check it out check all the fluids and pay attention to how the trans shift.
FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Makes sense folks. I am not good with this stuff so I appreciate the help for sure. From what I can tell it looks super clean but I will be able to tell more when I see it. I have read through the wj buyers guide and plan to use the check list when I do.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
new2site
2002 WJ 

I'd wait it out and find a lower mileage one (I know..getting harder to find) or one that had the engine rebuilt WITH RECEIPTS FOR PROOF. I've seen a lot out here with rebuilds (usually the V8's) for very reasonable prices...not getting back out $ from what they put in for the rebuild.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Overlands here in Minnesota go for 5k-8k depending on condition. I just got mine for 5k with 180,000. But it was in great shape. Hope that helps
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Kind of does. You don't see many wj's around here for sale. Most people keep driving them and I rarely see any lifted. Around here it is mostly wranglers. I will probably go look at it and if it is good shape try and get it down some and keep looking around in the process. I like the idea of the overland so I will definitely go take a look. I had found one a year newer for 1k less but I didn't know the miles. It must have sold over the weekend because it is no longer listed.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

The Overlands are kinda hard to find here, atleast in my area. I chose the overland for the 4.7 H.O. And Quadradrive.
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

That is why I want one also but the v8 is a must. Looking to get something I can use more all around than my tj.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

First thing I'd check is WHY does it have a new water pump......A new water pump isn't a big deal, but if they replaced it after the old one went out and the Jeep overheated and might have blown a head gasket or cracked a head or simply still gets hot even after the new water pump then it's a definite NO-GO for me. The Alternator isn't a big deal at all, but with something like a water pump that can completely ruin the engine I'd be highly concerned with that.

Take it for a drive (at least 15-20 miles and make sure you crank the A/C up all the way and stop and idle for at least 10 minutes) and run that son of a gun like you stole it for the majority of those miles. If it makes it with no issues whatsoever, then great it sounds like you might have gotten a pretty decent deal on a good WJ....If it gives you an engine light or gets hot or has anything else you are concerned with then pass on it.

In my case, I just bought (like 2 weeks ago) an '04 WJ Limited with a V8....When I started it everything in the jeep worked with the lone exception of an engine light. It was a transmission code that I eventually got fixed for nothing (brand new Torque converter because I made them show me the bill) and not one but 2 full tranny services (with flush and new filter each time according to the bill from the tranny shop). What I have now is an '04 WJ Limited 4.7V8 4x4 quadra-drive with almost all the bells and whistles including leather and sunroof and it runs perfectly now for less than $4500. Taking into account what I would have had to spend getting the TC replaced at a shop I figure I'm in about $3000-3500 in on this. Yes I will need to get 4 new all terrain tires for it but honestly I wanted to buy new tires anyway just so I could get what I want.

The point is, don't buy this Jeep you're looking at unless you are completely comfortable with it. Test drive it twice as hard as you'll ever drive it.....if it breaks then what are they going to do? FORCE you to buy it?

Also, as someone with a WJ with an I6 and a WJ with a 4.7 V8.....The difference is definantly there. The V8 is definantly more powerful but IMO personally I preferred the I6. Keep in mind though that I've only had my V8 WJ for about 2 weeks now.....I'm still very used to the engine noises and maintenance schedule on my I6. Good luck and I hope you find a perfect WJ for yourself!
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Very good point on the water pump and thank you for that and the other advice. I will make sure and ask about that. I also found this one http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/4041145319.html
2000 v8 151k 4000

May also look at it. Don't know if it is the quadradrive but it has less miles however it is older. I will definitely keep in mind everything you said and put it through it paces hard core.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

Yeah that doesn't look bad on the surface.....obviously now you'll test drive it and see for yourself.

Don't worry about the tires too much unless you just don't have the $$$$ to replace them with some decent A/Ts or M/Ts or whatever you prefer....The main thing to remember is that the better mechanical condition your new (to you) jeep is, the less you'll have to spend on repairs and the more you'll be able to spend on mods/tires.

For me, I bought mine knowing that I wouldn't have the money available to give 'er a good lift so I'm going for the biggest tires I can fit under a stock 04 WJ ltd which appears to be 245/65/17s. Of course I don't know what you have planned for yours....Mine is a daily driver for a 40yo man with 4 kids so I need a good bit of Daily driving abilty mixed with occasional mud/sand types of trails.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

It isn't going to be a dd but will see a good bit of road use. I plan on throwing a small lift and going to a 31. I hoping I can have some cash left over from selling my tj to help with that. I do plan on using it for trail ridimg also. Not a lot but I want it to be ready when I do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.