Is there a "How To.."guide to separating the Lenses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is there a "How To.."guide to separating the Lenses

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
MadderThanMax

Wj Is there a "How To.."guide to separating the Lenses

on the head lamps? I want to separate a spare set I managed to get a hold of from local advertising. The lenses on these are much better that my errrm... polished ones. One came out like new and the other well its in a "Deep Purple " phase *Smoke on the lens cover"

MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Ok, so you are asking how to remove the plastic lens covers off the headlights? Just making sure
Unread 09-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I've never attempted it but I've heard stories of throwing the headlight housings in the oven for a bit then pealing the covers off. Once off, you'll want to bond the new covers on with a good sealant.

Three things to keep in mind:

1. I'm only relaying what I've read. I can't verify if this actually works.
2. Cook it low and slow. You don't want to crank your oven up to broil and melt the darn things!
3. Do NOT place them in the oven while your wife is cooking the Thanksgiving turkey.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

ChrisHager is right for the most part. For one there are a few videos on YouTube (use the keyword retrofit and that should help). Also, I had to do this for a retrofit and it was fairly difficult. I did it at about 275 for around 6 to 8 minutes, pulled them out and tried to pry them apart for a while, do the oven cycle again and repeat (the sealant cools rather quickly). I had to get the headlight so hot I had to wear gloves, and honestly, my sealant was so old it never actually softened, the heat cycles just made it brittle and it kind of gave up after a while haha nothing like you see on the YouTube videos where after its warm it stretches apart like a hot chocolate chip cookie. Good luck! Let me know if you need any extra tips or are running into any problems. Last tip: try to not pry on it once it cools, it will be easier to chip the plastic that way.
Unread 09-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
SFLSilverV8WJ
2000 WJ 

I just did this on my mustang, I used a combination of the oven and a heat gun. I put them in the oven first, then used the heat gun to keep the sealant hot as I went along prying it up.
SFLSilverV8WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
SleepyFloyd
2004 WJ 

I've done it many, many times. Built three sets of retrofits and painting for myself and others.

Silver is bang on about oven and heat gun. Oven is great to get it up to temp throughly so it doesn't cool too fast and the heat gun is more for concentrated heat to target the glue.
Use gloves, don't use screwdrivers and **** you will deform the plastic housing when it's warm. The hardest part it getting it started. Just start on two sides of a corner and pry the corner up. Keep laying heat down on the sides where the glue sits.
Once you get that first corner to budge the rest is cake. You just shoot heat directly at the glue as you pry up, slowly. At about half done it will pretty much come apart with no effort because of the leverage.

Really, try to do it without a screwdriver or anything like that. If it seems impossible get like a scraper, something with a lot of surface area and just work it really slowly to get the corner started.
SleepyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

www.theretrofitsource.com has great how-to videos on all this stuff.
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

I second the no screwdriver act. I used one and though i didn't warp or bend anything, I did get a few chips in the seam. You can't see them because the edge is deep in the engine bay but I got lucky.

Also I owe my success to the help of a heat gun, I just forgot to add it to my original post.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.