Temp gauge and battery gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Temp gauge and battery gauge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
w7sar

Temp gauge and battery gauge

Have a new to me (used) 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD, V8. When we checked it out, everything appeared to work fine. Bought it for a killer price from a guy who just bought a new toy and needed quick cash. We drove it home and had local shop do safety and emissions so I can license it. No codes, no problems, passed everything just fine.

On the way home from the shop, the ABS now stays on, the temp gauge gets to 100 and no higher and the battery voltage is about 12.

Have checked the battery voltage with a meter, it's 13.8. I have reseated all the ABS connectors (to the wheels and the brain box). On the drive home (before shop) it was reading normal.

I've taken out the instrument cluster to see if anything was loose or any circuit traces were burnt. Nothing abnormal.

The temp gauge starts below 100 and climbs to 100. On the way home (before shop inspection) it was about mid dial ... 200 or so.

It's odd that all three indicators (temp, battery and ABS) are either all broken or something common has changed. I checked every ground connection and strap I could find, all check fine.

Any thoughts? I've spent my Saturday scratching my head. I wonder if the shop connected something during the safety/emissions check that changed something??? I'm going back there Monday, but I don't want them to tell me I need lots of stuff so they can shotgun the problem.

I tried to find a special goodie to clear the ABS code, no joy. None of the parts places now have the very expensive Jeep reader/programmer to loan.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Jerry

w7sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

For the temp gauge, did you check to see if they left out the thermostat?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

WJs are funny about electronics. Pull the battery cables for about 30 minutes, clean them up, and the terminals. Reattach the cables, and make sure they're TIGHT.

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The abs light is most likely one of the front wheel sensors.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
offroad_monster

I have a 1999 laredo and the ABS light has been on since i bought it. Hopefully its just a sensor
offroad_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Usually its a front wheel sensor because they turn with the wheels.

Some scanners can scan for abs codes. My innova can.
image-1660465253.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Usually its a front wheel sensor because they turn with the wheels.

Some scanners can scan for abs codes. My innova can.
Can it scan airbag codes and clear them?

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick

Can it scan airbag codes and clear them?

I don't know about the airbag codes. Never needed to do it.

Actron may be.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
w7sar

Here's an update to my problems....
ABS light. There was a scuff on the left rear sensor wire that allowed water into the scuff and the copper wire + water + electric current caused the wires to corrode. Once the wires were cleaned, soldered and re-taped, all is well.

Dash gauges.
Turns out the instrument cluster was at fault. I have two similar Jeeps. Swapped cluster, problem followed cluster.
I learned there is a quick test of the instruments. Hold the trip reset button and turn the vehicle power on (don't start the car). All the gauges go full scale and the odometer counts through all digits. The battery and the temp gauge would not go full scale, only about 1/2 way. Tested similar instrument cluster, gauges on test went full scale.

Options for gauge repair.
The cost for a new instrument cluster is about $1,000. The mileage reading is stored in the cluster, so if you buy a used one (or swap as I did to test), the mileage follows. If I could find a cheap used one with 67K miles, that would work. But... A new one to get set to the right mileage requries a dealer to order it AND send the faulty one in to the factory and you get back only the new one with your mileage duplicated. So, you cannot order a new one, get miles set and then later swap out to a lesser-miles cluster. Fraud prevention.

A second option for me to try is to carefully take apart the instrument cluster and just re-adjust the needles. They've come out of adjustment and while the meter goes full-scale, the needle doesn't. I'll use some precision grippers and gently see if I can put the needles back into the right position.

The third option is to buy a cluster that has these gauges working and unsolder the defective ones and replace them with gauges from the used cluster. I can find some used instrument clusters for about $50 and this option may be OK. It's a delicate operation, but can be done.

If either of these two last options work, I'm saving the cost of a new and reprogrammed one. If all else fails, I may just opt for a used one with higher mileage and go with it. Buying a new cluster for $1,000 isn't really something I want to do. After market battery and temp gauges are also an option.

It may be possible for someone to hack into the cluster and reset the mileage, but my extensive calling and searching produced no one that knew how to do this ... I believe any claims to the contrary to be urban legend.

So gang, that's my update. At least the ABS light is off..... Will tackle the instrument cluster tonight.
w7sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7sar View Post
Here's an update to my problems....
ABS light. There was a scuff on the left rear sensor wire that allowed water into the scuff and the copper wire + water + electric current caused the wires to corrode. Once the wires were cleaned, soldered and re-taped, all is well.

Dash gauges.
Turns out the instrument cluster was at fault. I have two similar Jeeps. Swapped cluster, problem followed cluster.
I learned there is a quick test of the instruments. Hold the trip reset button and turn the vehicle power on (don't start the car). All the gauges go full scale and the odometer counts through all digits. The battery and the temp gauge would not go full scale, only about 1/2 way. Tested similar instrument cluster, gauges on test went full scale.

Options for gauge repair.
The cost for a new instrument cluster is about $1,000. The mileage reading is stored in the cluster, so if you buy a used one (or swap as I did to test), the mileage follows. If I could find a cheap used one with 67K miles, that would work. But... A new one to get set to the right mileage requries a dealer to order it AND send the faulty one in to the factory and you get back only the new one with your mileage duplicated. So, you cannot order a new one, get miles set and then later swap out to a lesser-miles cluster. Fraud prevention.

A second option for me to try is to carefully take apart the instrument cluster and just re-adjust the needles. They've come out of adjustment and while the meter goes full-scale, the needle doesn't. I'll use some precision grippers and gently see if I can put the needles back into the right position.

The third option is to buy a cluster that has these gauges working and unsolder the defective ones and replace them with gauges from the used cluster. I can find some used instrument clusters for about $50 and this option may be OK. It's a delicate operation, but can be done.

If either of these two last options work, I'm saving the cost of a new and reprogrammed one. If all else fails, I may just opt for a used one with higher mileage and go with it. Buying a new cluster for $1,000 isn't really something I want to do. After market battery and temp gauges are also an option.

It may be possible for someone to hack into the cluster and reset the mileage, but my extensive calling and searching produced no one that knew how to do this ... I believe any claims to the contrary to be urban legend.

So gang, that's my update. At least the ABS light is off..... Will tackle the instrument cluster tonight.
The mileage is reset in the PCM. I believe there are companies on the internet who will do this. They also sell the gauge clusters for about $150-$200, much cheaper than a dealer does. The PCM company will set it to your VIN and mileage for about the same amount for a new PCM. I am sure you can send yours in to be programmed for less by talking to them. Just do an internet search to find the best deal.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.