Tell me why I need FM in my front veri loc with Quadra drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tell me why I need FM in my front veri loc with Quadra drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Idano12
2004 WJ 

Tell me why I need FM in my front veri loc with Quadra drive

When I'm in 4 wheel high, 100 percent of the torque goes to the rear until both rear wheels slip, then it transfers power to the front. When I'm in 4 low it splits 50/50.
Why do I need to put friction modifier in the front? I live in an area that gets maybe 3 days of snow every three to four years, if I'm in conditions that require the front to kick in, I want the front end locked up as tight as I assume a vari loc will lock up.
My last 4X4 was a Yota PU with a Detroit Locker in the rear and a TRD limited slip in the front. I get that I had locking hubs and didn't have to deal with the front being locked up during normal driving but, my quadra drive doesn't lock the front up either when I'm in 4 high and in situations I wouldn't have had the Yota hubs locked in anyway.
I get the crab walk potential and the go forward steering that you encounter with a good limited slip in the front and I don't think it's too much of a problem compared to having a looser limited slip when you need real 4 wheel drive.
I'm changing my gear oil and transmission fluid tomorrow, give me one good reason why I should to put FM in my front differential ?

Idano12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idano12 View Post
When I'm in 4 wheel high, 100 percent of the torque goes to the rear until both rear wheels slip, then it transfers power to the front. When I'm in 4 low it splits 50/50.
Why do I need to put friction modifier in the front? I live in an area that gets maybe 3 days of snow every three to four years, if I'm in conditions that require the front to kick in, I want the front end locked up as tight as I assume a vari loc will lock up.
My last 4X4 was a Yota PU with a Detroit Locker in the rear and a TRD limited slip in the front. I get that I had locking hubs and didn't have to deal with the front being locked up during normal driving but, my quadra drive doesn't lock the front up either when I'm in 4 high and in situations I wouldn't have had the Yota hubs locked in anyway.
I get the crab walk potential and the go forward steering that you encounter with a good limited slip in the front and I don't think it's too much of a problem compared to having a looser limited slip when you need real 4 wheel drive.
I'm changing my gear oil and transmission fluid tomorrow, give me one good reason why I should to put FM in my front differential ?
Well uh, if you want the clutches to work you need to put FM in it. Not really sure why its such a problem, its not very expensive and you only need like 3 ounces of it. I dont think you understand how this system works, go to wjjeeps.com and read up on the quadra drive system.

Long story short, you are going to blow the clutches out if you dont put FM in the front differential. Then you will just end up with an open diff...

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Because Jeep said you do.....they built it and they should know! But seriously if you don't put it in you will almost certainly have groaning noises and crabbIng when turning sharp as the varilock struggles to slip like it needs to when one wheel has to travel further than the other (as happens in a sharp turn).
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
ADragg
2003 WJ 

I'm pretty sure it will bind like hell if you don't use it, before ruining the clutches, of course. Order some Redline (I think it's the 75w-140) or Amsoil Severe Gear if you want good diff fluid that will already be pre-mixed with the correct amount of Friction Modifier. Otherwise you'll have to add FM and then test out whether or not you get binding, ad more FM, and so on. It's a good system that will treat you right if you tread it right, and it NEEDS FM. Get your Jeep some quality Redline.

By the way, I'm surprised to say I've never heard of Santa Theresa, New Mexico. I thought I'd been to or at least heard of every town/city in New Mexico, as I spent the first 20 years of my life there, growing up in Albuquerque. I've (of course) heard of Santa Fe, but not Santa Theresa. I know Las Cruces, Grants, Farmington, Cuba, Chama, Taos, Las Vegas (NM), Alamosa, Alamogordo, Silver City, Carlsbad, T or C, etc, etc. But never heard of Santa Theresa!
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Vari-Loc differentials and the NV247 transfer case all use a geroter pump/clutch pack system which tries to lock whenever there is a difference in rotational speeds of two shafts (axle shafts for differentials and drive shafts for the transfer case). When driving, any turn that you make causes the axle shafts on the differentials and the drive shafts on the TC rotate at slightly different speeds, that happens whether or not there are slippery conditions.

So, when turning the the QD differentials and TC try to lock up. But, they can't because the pressure produced by the gerotor pumps is not large enough due to the relatively small differences in rotation speeds of the shafts. However, pressure on the clutch packs does produce clutch chatter The correct amount of FM allows slippage in the differential clutch packs at small differences in axle shaft (or wheel) rotational speeds. The Mopar NV247 TC lube is formulated with the correct amount and type of FM in order to allow some clutch slippage at small gerotor pump pressures caused by small rotational speed differences of the drive shafts

Bottom line is QD needs FM in the differentials and Mopar NV247 TC lube regardless of road conditions unless all your driving is done in a straight line. It is also true that too much FM does not damage anything, but it allows so much slippage that the clutch packs are completely ineffective.
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
fastrr
2004 WJ 

I used Valvoline synthetic with about ounce and a half of the Mopar friction modifier in my front differential. I wanted to use as minimal as possible to get the diffs to lock up as quickly as possible. I believe this is about the minimum to run as I have no clutch noise except in cases where I have the steering turned all the way and am on dry pavement. The noise is very minimal, almost more of a vibration then noise.

I have yet to do the rear as I wanted to get the front dialed in first.
fastrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Try it with no FM. It will chatter like a ***** though. Add just enough FM to make the chatter stop, as fastrr says. Many people have found the factory recommendation is too much and impairs the ability of the axle to "lock".
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Ever check the price for a replacement vari-lok assembely? You cant just rebuild them and putting no FM in there is worse than too much. Add the FM in there until the chatter stops. But if you dont want to thats fine, ill take your vari-lok D30 and you can have my open D30.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.