TCase fluid change? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > TCase fluid change?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
well, just for the record, my 2000 select trac t-case is capable of using just about any atf, this from the factory manual. my truck was made before atf+4 came out, and the owners manual tells me to use dex-3 atf or atf+3 - in other words, pretty much any ATF. when atf+4 came out, Jeep just specified it in all select trac cases. the cases are the same, so whatever you put in them will be fine.

it's easy enough to find atf+4 though, so thats what i used.
This. Even the manuals used to say you could use Dex3 for the tranny. Once ATF4 came out then they wanted everything to use atf4. Of course, more money for them.

The point being is yes they call for atf4 but you wont do any damage by not using atf4. Some guys have run the fines on motor oil here even and been fine when we have taken them apart. Use any good atf product and your good.

WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
I did not state there was.
It is probably needed in the 242 due to the types of metals that are used.

Look you would obviously love to argue with somebody, but i'm just not up for it today, put whatever you want in your truck, scrap you TC, it makes no diff. to me !
I personally will use what is supposed to be used for the reason that the factory uses it, the proper fluid with the proper add pack.
If your not up to it then quit talking. I could care less what you think. There just is no reason ATF4 must be used.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Deleted
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
mrese
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just about any atf, ...... the owners manual tells me to use dex-3 atf or atf+3 - .... pretty much any ATF. ......
"JUST ANY ATF" is not ATF3 or dex 3

'99 WJ Limited 4.7 K&N Filter CB 3" IRO
302, 000 miles
mrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
ironmatt85
2003 WJ 

Read this TSB from chrysler. This is why you use ATF+4... http://wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_2101407.pdf

Prices aren't significantly different, especially since its a long service interval for this stuff. If you really want you can make a wine tasting event out of it a check the real difference between the two flavors...
ironmatt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmatt85 View Post
Read this TSB from chrysler. This is why you use ATF+4... http://wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_2101407.pdf

Prices aren't significantly different, especially since its a long service interval for this stuff. If you really want you can make a wine tasting event out of it a check the real difference between the two flavors...
Oh now come on....what the hell does chrysler know about there own vehicles !!!

C'mon guys lets all use fluids that the factory says not to just so we can all replace our TC's prematurely !!!!!! due to metal and gear break down from fluids that loose there viscosity and friction modifiers 30% faster !!!
just becuase we can......and oh yeah, becuase chrysler makes more money by us buying the correct fluid that is based from a shell base stock.........

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.