Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tcase blown or fluid already done?

520 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JMZ101586 
#1 ·
04 WJ SE V8 with 247 and a rear variloc axle (front is still open diff)

Took the Jeep to the 4x4 beach in OBX NC. Never had any problems with it. Was evenly aired down to 20 psi. Upon heading back to the house I made the sharp slow turn into the driveway and felt a nasty shudder. Upon checking the tcase is full of fluid and I did use the correct 247 about 30k miles ago. Never had a single issue again until taking it out and having some fun on the beach. It isn't constant but if you do make tight circle it does act up again. Did I roast something inside the tcase or is the 247 fluid that fast at breaking down. I seen the mopar change interval of 24k but I've seen jeeps that have never replaced that fluid not have this issue. Any thoughts? When it acts up I had friends at every wheel all 4 wheels rotate just fine the shuddering is seen as the tcase and trans seem to be shaking violently when it happens.

Thanks!

#3 ·
The rear diff has been in for about 15k it has 75-140 synth fluid and does in fact have a full bottle of variloc friction modifier. It does NOT do the shudder while in 4 LO (other than the normal scrubbing from making tight turns on dry solid pavement while in 4 LO).

It only does it in 4 HI and I originally thought based on the feeling I screwed up a differential. It feels like making turns in a car with a spool rear axle (or one with the spider gears welded) but as I said all wheels turn just fine. We observed no bouncing or jumping in the wheels or axles. Just the horrid noise and the violent shaking of the transmission and tcase when the problem is occurring.

#5 ·
Anyone? Sorry to be a pest but I have to drive it 500 miles home tomorrow and would like to try and have some answers to check out before attempting it.

Does this mopar 247 fluid go "bad" after 30k or so and require replacement? When it goes bad does it cause the shuddering?

#6 ·
I would pull the cover to inspect the gears for any damage. Then replace the fluid with new. I used red line 75-140 in mine. It already has the friction modifier for the wj axle.

#7 ·
wadewen said:
I would pull the cover to inspect the gears for any damage. Then replace the fluid with new. I used red line 75-140 in mine. It already has the friction modifier for the wj axle.
Problem doesn't appear to be with the axle. It's the tcase.

#8 ·
Pull the front driveshaft out and then drive it in tight circles on pavement. If the shuddering remains it's a diff. If the shuddering is gone it's the tcase.

If it is the tcase I would probably just drive it home and then change the fluid. Very unlikely to give you serious problems IF your 500 mile drive is mostly straight highway travel. If it worries you then change the fluid before going home.

If it's a diff causing that, I would not drive very far without opening it up to see what's going on.

#9 ·
Do not have tools to pull ds will grab tonight. I did jack up the front end. Each wheel spins freely no binding. Turning a wheel does cause the front ds to spin without issues so I'm fairly certain nothing wrong with the carrier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.