tapping noise when below 40 degrees - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tapping noise when below 40 degrees

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
keith43

tapping noise when below 40 degrees

I have a 2002 jeep G/C with the 4.0 inline six with 127,000 miles. When the temperature drops below 40 degrees outside is when it makes this noise. It's a tapping noise,but doesn't change sound or tempo when I rev the motor and only does this when it's cold out. It takes a couple of minutes for it to start making this noise after I start it too. And it doesn't change when the engine warms up either. But as soon as the outside temperature goes up,it's quiet as can be. Just has me baffled, because it doesn't sound like anything internal like a lifter or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,Keith.

keith43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

There's a good chance it's your Evap Purge Solenoid. Common and harmless. It's right in front of the drivers firewall. You'll be able to put your hand on it and feel it pulsing. If you do a search on here you'll find pics of where it is too, but I don't have a link handy.

If that's what it is and I'm guessing it is, nothing to worry about.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.