Is it the switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is it the switch?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
TheGeek
2001 WJ 

Is it the switch?

I was out today getting my emissions tested (passed), and on the way home I noticed that my blinkers stopped working. I checked the forum, thought it was probably the flasher, paid $50 for one, and it did NOT fix the problem. I've checked inside and out, and cannot find any fuses for the blinkers (ARE THERE ANY?). My hazards DO work. All my lights DO work. No blinkers though. So is it the switch? Hope so. I already ordered one.

TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Scroll down this page for WJ flasher repair tip

http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuses.htm

It might help.
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
pdpunome

2000 WJ 

its the relay i have been battling the same issue randomly my blinkers stop working then fine the next day. i am on my third relay in a month. something else is happening electrically in these trucks besides the relays!!!
pdpunome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
TheGeek
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpunome View Post
its the relay
I just replaced the relay with a new one in the package. Still get nothing but hazards (but when the hazards are on you can hear the relay clicking). So, you know how you get that pissed off feeling when you buy a $50 part and it doesn't fix the problem?... gonna be twice as bad if my $80 part comes in Friday and doesn't fix the problem either.
Pdpunome, I'll let you know if this fixes it or not. You might have 3 perfectly good relays and 1 bad turn signal switch. S10's trucks and blazers were plagued by these switches going out all the time and the design is pretty much the same, so I'm crossing my fingers that this is it.
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
pdpunome

2000 WJ 

tried that theory as well i have three of those i keep swapping out trying different combos of switches and relays... same thing good for a week then bam all day no turns at all or just the left then good all others.
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
TheGeek
2001 WJ 

New switch installed... did NOT fix. Aggrevated. However, when clicking down the blinker, I DID notice that my AC/Heater made a quiet clunking noise. So I start messing with the AC/Heater controls and... nothing works (it was working BEFORE the blinkers started messing up). Aha. There's a short somewhere. I hate electricity. I don't even know where to start, but I guess I gotta go do it. Wish me luck.
Unread 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
TheGeek
2001 WJ 

ELECTRICAL GREMLIN FOUND. Even more aggrevated now that it's fixed because the problem was something I already checked. Fuse #20 (10 amp). The fuze is not blown. It's sort of blown. It looks like it started to blow or did blow, but then melted the lead back together. There's a connection there, but probably not enough to let the correct voltage through. I replaced the fuze and AC and blinkers work again.
Like I said, I had already pulled the fuse out and it looked fine. It wasn't until I looked at the other side of it that I could tell it wasn't right. So if anyones got an intermittant problem, check that #20.
bad-fuse.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
pdpunome

2000 WJ 

sweet i will check my fuse out now good find
Unread 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I've had a few OE Jeep fuses that appeared fine visually but were actually blown when tested with a multimeter for resistance.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.