Suspension Guidance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Suspension Guidance

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Wj Suspension Guidance

Hello Everyone, been viewing the Forums for a while, just decided to join yesterday, and would greatly appreciate suggestions from all of you.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7. I have done some Performance upgrades but now I am in the Market for Suspension.

I work at a Midas up here in Michigan, so I have the pleasure of driving numerous WJ's on a weekly basis. What I have noticed over the years but never really considered it with mine, is that some of the other Limited's and Overlands have substantially less feel of potholes, bumps etc that are in the road, and even on dirt roads.

So I am in the market for some suspension, and what I ultimately want to reach, is a 2-3" lift and have the most comfortable ride possible. I don't do very much offroading at all, I'm mainly interested in getting a larger tire under me, and a more comfortable experience for myself and my Fiance.

With my research, I have concluded that the best option for comfort, would be to do something that looks like this:

Upcountry coils - 2" BB - Bilstein 5100 Series shock absorbers.

I have looked into the 4" IRO kits and the leveling kit of 2" rear lift and 2.5" Lift in coils, but I'm mainly interested in comfort, and I am thinking that the setup up there ^ would be the best? Any suggestions?

I've already contacted Kolak to see what he thinks, no response yet, I understand he's a busy guy, so in the meantime, anything from you guys would be great,

Thanks

Andrew

KonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you want to keep it minimal, instead of the 2" BB, look into Fat Bob's/BDS 2" lift coils. They don't cost much more than the BB. Also, the Bilsteins are a good choice. Lastly, I'd recommend replacing your spring isolators, extend your rear sway bar end links to match the lift height, and install a HD steering stabilizer for the 'complete' package. If you go higher than 2" (or if you want a perfectly centered axle), you might look into an adjustable track bar as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

IronRockOffroad is now offering a 2" lift as well. Comparable to the BDS 2" from FatBobs. Spring rates are probably different ,BDS seem a little stiff for my taste JMO.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

BDS is going to be stiff. I like a little higher spring rate, especially when lifting. The higher spring rate helps control body roll. But, that's a good point. The OP did mention wanting a smooth ride. Let me go find the chart for spring rates...

Edit: Here we go. I think these are pretty close. There are two lists running around here that vary a little but this should give you an idea.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Upside
2002 WJ 

I don't find my BDS springs harsh at all but they are more stiff. Combined with my Bilsteins they have a nice controlled feel. The isolators go a long way toward smoothness,if they are crushed your ride is not going to be as nice.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Yea I have looked into the Isolators too, mine are stock, going to replace those aswell. What I was going for was comfort in the ride, some of the Overlands I've driven feel better than Cadillac's, and that's what I was trying to get to.
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Upside
2002 WJ 

I'm on mobile so I can't see your location but if your roads are bumpy I'd go with the softer springs then. My dad's Overland has a nice ride but I think his is an '04 so it has the regular springs instead of Up Country.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
KonLegend
2005 WK 

I'm in Kalkaska, Michigan. So when I look at that chart, which springs are the softest?
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

The ones with the lowest spring rate are the softest. IRO 3" and rustys 2.5". A lot of people are getting slightly more than 3 inches with the IRO coils.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Wow so the Up Country Springs are actually stiffer than OEM? Seems strange as the Overlands always seemed like riding on a cloud compared to my OEM Springs.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Then I guess mine could be extremely wore out.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

Stock hub to fender measurments are 18" front and 19" rear. Check and see if you have any sag from 12 year old coils and isolators. Also, a good tire size for the lift range you are looking at is a 245/70/17 or a 245/75/16 and they still fit in the spare area. Larger tires will also help with ride comfort.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Yea I have 245/70/16 on the Jeep right now, they came standard. From the posts I have seen, I should be able to hit 265's easily
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Both my Front/Rear Hub to fender is about 17.5", so I've got some sag going on?
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Bump

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.