Suspension and general info questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Suspension and general info questions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Suspension and general info questions

I've been thinking of trying to find a WJ lately and after reading the forum for awhile, I have a couple questions to ask.

I'm looking to keep it nice and simple so around 4" of lift and 285's.

So with that comes the question of exactly what is the best riding, top quality stuff out there? Not many TJ things carry over to the WJ or so it seems. Which parts could carry over?

Clayton, OME, Iron Rock, BDS, seem to be some solid choices around here. I would like to have 4.5" up front and 3.5-4" in the back. But obviously I'd like to be as low as possible while being able to fit 33's with minimal trimming. Now when it comes to control arms, man do ya'll have terrible choices for joints. I'm thinking of taken some IRO's and swapping in some MetalCloak joints for those. I also hear IRO can make you custom arms so more than likely I'll go double adjustable with the MC joints. Overall it seem WJ's have pretty decent "kits" compared to TJ's but I'd still much rather piece together my own.

Now on to the actual Jeep...

I'm leaning toward a Limited for the 4.7 and transmission. Are there any major things wrong with it or just a little rocker issue here and there? I'm hoping to drive something that will be relatively problem free for 250k+ miles.Thanks fellas.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
PackLifeNC
2001 WJ 

I would honestly get the I6 4.0. My brother has one and hasn't had a minutes trouble with it. I have the 4.7 and have had a lot of trouble with it. Not to say that a 4.7 isn't a good motor, but if I did it over again i'd go with the I6.
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Get the 4.7. You'd be upset with the 4.0. Both are very reliable engines, the v8 has WAY more power. Easy choice IMO.

As far as lifts it depends on how much you want to spend. Clayton is usually the best way to go for long arms, but is expensive. If you want to stay short arms IRO is a great way to go. They use clevite rubber bushings so they last forever, but aren't flex joints.

Stay away from rough country, unless you want to change out the bad joints and trackbar right away.

Bds makes a good kit, but for the price just go with an IRO 4"
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

Ditto on the 4.7. I test drove a bunch before I bought mine. I wanted more power than my 4.0 TJ so I went with the V8, no comparison. I recently just drove a buddy's 4.0 WJ. Its a slug compared to mine. Spend the extra money and make sure to get one that was taken care of, you won't regret it. The last thing you want is a V8 thats been abused. You'll more than likely run into issues sooner than the 4.0 but its what you're giving up for more power I guess. You have to weigh your priorities. Look for one with a tow package too.
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Several of my local builder friends have started using these Barnes4wd Enduro-joints for all their control arms. They're saying its the best joint they've seen/used. http://www.barnes4wd.com/Enduro-Joints_p_283.html

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

Definitly will be looking for a 4.7 since I want easy power.

Suspension will be mixed and matched. The only joints worth running other than JJ's or the Duroflex are clevites. I'd much rather just build some custom arms with the Duroflex unless some TJ arms will carry over.

-Jack
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No WJ yet...still working on it.

But I've decided to go with Claytons 4.5" LA lift. Getting rid of the clevite bushings/ball joint and wishbone out back is reason alone to upgrade to the 4link. I still want to have 4" coils in the rear.

Does anyone know why Clayton doesn't use JJ's on the front lower axle end and on the rear lower axle end? I plan on replacing the JJ's with 2.5" Duroflex bushings anyway, I'm just curious if maybe those joints are 2".

-Jack
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Does anyone know why Clayton doesn't use JJ's on the front lower axle end and on the rear lower axle end? I plan on replacing the JJ's with 2.5" Duroflex bushings anyway, I'm just curious if maybe those joints are 2".
They do it for road "noise" transmitted at the axle. Meh.

However, it likely also serves to alleviate binding inherent in the radius arm design.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
They do it for road "noise" transmitted at the axle. Meh.
That's about the worst excuse I've ever heard. So are they OEM clevites? I'm guessing 2" so I could fit a 2" Duroflex in there?

-Jack
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
That's about the worst excuse I've ever heard. So are they OEM clevites? I'm guessing 2" so I could fit a 2" Duroflex in there?
The lower joint is a 2.5" Currie Johnny Joint. I'm not 100% positive if the axle end lower joint is the same size.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
The lower joint is a 2.5" Currie Johnny Joint.
I know. I'm wondering what size the clevites are.

-Jack
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I found something on Claytons site that leads me to believe they are 2", so easily replaceable.

So here's what I'm thinking...

Clayton 4.5" LA lift- $2,589
Clayton JJ trackbar- $195
IRO 4" rear springs- $155
MC Duroflex 2.5" and 2" joint- $406

Total- $3,345

Now to sell some stuff...

Clayton rear springs- $159
Clayton trackbar- $149
JJ's- $560

Brings the total down to $2,477

After all that I should have a very nice riding Jeep. Add some 1.25" spacers and some 285/75/16's and I'll be good to go. Anybody have any opinions?

-Jack
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

I say look for a 4.7 H.O. while you are at it. A regear would be nice too. Then you will want sliders and all kinds of other stuff.. I'm sure you know all about the Jeep bug after the TJ lol
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderHound View Post
I say look for a 4.7 H.O. while you are at it. A regear would be nice too. Then you will want sliders and all kinds of other stuff.. I'm sure you know all about the Jeep bug after the TJ lol
I'm trying to keep this one less expensive.

Most of my work will be in suspension. After that I only see myself getting some sliders, belly pan, and some new headlights. A regear would probably be low on the list due to cost, unless the Jeep is severely undergeared with 33's.

The most complicated I can see it getting is if I really want a front locker and I'd probably swap out for a 242hd case then. I'm hoping to find one with a 242 already.

-Jack
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

And x2 on the tow package. It took me weeks to get the hitch harness and bezel. Then you have to fight the rear bumper clips, it's hard to get the rear bumper off. I thought I was going to rip it.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.