Superchips Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Superchips Review

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
docster
2002 WJ 

Superchips Review

Ok, heres the skinny on the Jeep Flashpaq 3870 for the 4.7 WJ.

I filled up with 93 last 2 fill ups (we dont have 91 here, so thats what it gets).
Plugged tuner into computer to update, 20 min later, it has newest version (Spark).
Ran base line testing.
Followed directions exactly and installed just the basic 91oct performance tune. 10 min later, new tune installed.

Impressions:
Not bad for a NA engine.
My GTECH measure 0-60 time average over 4 runs back and forth right before tune as 7.15 seconds with full fuel and spare and me, and a best of 7.12. (granted I do have an excellent running WJ right now). Following the Tune, I averaged 6.71, with a best of 6.69. So it brings a standard 4.7 to the HO mark, which makes sense since they claim 20hp gain.
Driveablitly is what impressed me. Smoother power delivery/idle, and better throttle response, and better shifting.

Now keep in mind, I bought this primarly for the ability to adjust speedo for tire size. The WJ is not a vehicle you should worry about MPG with, if you do, you bought the wrong vehicle, plain and simple. The tune is not super noticable in the seat of your pants, it might be there, but probably just placebo effect. Again, with premium gas its only 20hp, not much on a 4500lb suv.

As for the argument running premium, well the 87 tune only nets you about 6-7hp according to SC. So go for the 91. If you are worried about gas costs, think of it this way. If you fill up once per week and put the max 20 gallons, premium is 20 cents extra. So thats $4 per fill up, or 208 bucks a year, hardly a big deal.

As for the Gtech, its dead on. Matched perfectly with my old S4 at the drag strip, and has matched everything its been on at the drag strip within 1%. So the times and comparison are very accurate.

Overall, if you want a little extra oomph, and a smoother running vehicle, get it, plus it has some fun stuff to play with, and Kolak has good pricing on it.

I am looking forward to the speedo adjuster personally.

Unread 12-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Redsoxsrt
2000 WJ 

Nice review. What else do you have done to the truck besides the superchips

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Redsoxsrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
DeChache
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the write up. I've thinking about getting one just for the tire size adjustment
DeChache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
docster
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxsrt View Post
Nice review. What else do you have done to the truck besides the superchips

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
i have a 3 inch catback exhaust, high flow air filter, and thats it performance wise. It is also completely tuned up and I use all synthetic fluids, some say it helps, other say no difference, I just say it cant hurt.
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

^^^Great review,Thumbsup!!!

Paired with a 3" Kolak exhaust it made my old 4.7 lowput much stronger, just in pants expirience, i always ran 98 octane (euro standard), Even at the higher costs
Also mainly bought it for tire size calc reasons

Cant wait to Get the same exhaust and tuner on my HO!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
2000_WJ_Kris
2000 WJ 

What year of wj do you guys have? Just curious because I heard the tire size adjuster Dosent work on the 99-01 models.
2000_WJ_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_WJ_Kris View Post
What year of wj do you guys have? Just curious because I heard the tire size adjuster Dosent work on the 99-01 models.
Yes Thats true

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
2000_WJ_Kris
2000 WJ 

Ok thankyou for verifying. Which is the next best option for a speedo recal? I have 32"s and it's a dog going up hills. It just seems like it's not shifting when it is supposed to due to the larger tires.
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I just installed the SpeedoDRD module, bought the universal one on MotoMummy. There is a great write up here and on another site that I followed. You tap into the ABS wires just next to the abs module under the hood, and the chip in the module allows you to program for the correct speed. I just estimated, used my cell phone gps to test how accurate it was, and adjusted one more time to fine tune the program (very easy to use, you can program it in about 30 seconds). $70 is what I paid. The module just modifies the signal and corrects the speedo.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
2000_WJ_Kris
2000 WJ 

Did it fix your shift points?
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
wconkle
2004 WJ 

I considered buying a 3870, mainly for the tire size adjustment. After reading all the reviews I could find, it seemed that the consensus was that there was only a small improvement in power and only with high octane, and I couldn't verify that it would actually adjust for all tire sizes. I decided to pay the dealer to adjust my speedo, but that was a waste, as they could only adjust for factory sizes, although their computer had a manual input method, but it (inexplicably) was limited to smaller than factory tires.
After getting my money back from the dealer, I also purchased the Speedo DRD. It was easy to install and functions perfectly. As for the shift points: when I had my lift on but speedo uncalibrated, it seemed to be always shifting wrong. With the speedo calibrated, it seemed to shift correctly. I have been just assuming that it's a placebo affect, because I don't really know how it could affect shifting, but that is my impression.

I would totally buy a 3870 for the performance tune, but for the money, there are a lot of other things I would rather get, for example saving up for rock sliders and real tires! Great review though OP, it is nice to have some actual numbers to look at.

Wes
wconkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
PackLifeNC
2001 WJ 

I'm not sure of the advantages on a wj, but I had one on my lifted chevy 2500 for 3 yrs and it honestly didnt do much. I would say spend your money elsewhere if your looking for performance gains. Again, this wasn't on a wj
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

Before my WJ I owned a 2006 Ram QC 4x4 with the 4.7. The SC tow tune really woke up the 4.7. The only other mods I had on the Ram were a 3" in/out Magnaflow muffler in place of the factory piece and an Airaid intake tube to replace the factory intake plenum. I towed a 1968 Fury on a Uhaul trailer from Phoenix to Omaha with the Ram and it did very well. I did not like the economy tune as it make the 4.7 seem gutless. Can't speak to the WJ but but based on my experience with the Ram I will be going with the SC on the WJ as finances allow.
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
00g_rokee
2000 WJ 

I've got them installed in both my vehicles - a 2000 JGC 4.7 QTII and a 2006 ranger 3L 2wd, mileage difference isn't noticeable, but where I do appreciate the tune is in the shift points - especially in the ranger. However now I see the tore correction is not applicable with the 99-01 WJ and until Spark version 3.0 was released, the updater was nfg, and only works on Windows OS not Mac
00g_rokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.