Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Superchips Questions

988 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Thomahawk 
#1 ·
I've heard somewhere that although the Superchips websites states that some features work only on 05 and newer Jeeps, that in 04 the computers were changed later on in the year and that these features will work. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Also, I just (kinda) lost a race to my cousin's Accord... :D

I think the main problem was me flooring it and it took like 2 seconds to downshift... will the tranny shiftness of the chip improve this? Also when going highway speeds, it takes awhile to accelerate. Thanks!

#2 ·
A lot of people say the chips aren't worth it in the 4.0 and you'll see more noticeable gains with the 4.7. I was quickly believing this when I installed the superchips on my 4.0. However, I then read somewhere that it can take up to a couple of weeks for the PCM to adjust to the tune...and this was entirely true in my case. I left it on the 91 tune and I didn't notice much at first, but after a couple of weeks my shifts definitely felt much firmer overall and the kickdown also is a bit stronger. It didn't provide IMMENSE changes, but I think it was worth it

EDIT: The lack of features is true, I can basically only install the tune and nothing more. Most of the little extras on the tuner don't work. This is on a 2000 WJ with a 4.0

#3 ·
Also, has anyone ever tried out the other Superchips products? I know the 3875 is designed specifically for Jeeps, but you never know... the others could provide good gains as well.

#6 ·
It work for me on my 00 4.7, cant adjust tiresize and calibrate speedo, but feel gain in my butt o meter. Use alittle more gas on the 91 tune compered to stock, Even at the milage XS tune its using more gas than stock, so i keep it stock for good mpg, and at 91 tune for performance, the difference in performance is sure noticble.

Sent from my Iphone4

#9 ·
04 with the 4.7 the reason I ask about the computers is I've heard that the later computers are compatible with more features from the Superchip. The website states "4WD HI Lock" Which I'm thinking is locking axles on Quadra Drive. But since WK's have electrical QD and we have mechanical, I'm guessing this won't work for me :( No one has heard about the later model computers?

#10 ·
Also, has anyone actually used 91 octane fuel on the 91 tune? lol I know Thom has the really high octane fuel over there in Norway, but has anyone else who normally runs 87 fuel in 91 tune tried running 91 fuel in the 91 tune? That kind of sounds confusing lol. I would think it'd give you better performance but the engine wouldn't knock or anything? On a standard 4.7 of course b/c the HO's are made for 91.

#12 ·
WiCkeDuDe said:
The 91 tune is noticeable on 91 fuel. Mileage comes down quite a bit. I have a hard time running the tune on 91 octane but my engine is modified. Havent noticed any knocking on the 91 tune in my 02 HO though.
Can not see the same results. I have tried the 91 tune for an extended period and Made calculation both ways, by hand and by overhead computer. At 91 tune my Jeep used more gas than stock, both highway and city. Havent noticed any knocking at all running 99 octane.

The gain in torque, low and mid rpm response is sure noticeble though. It also shift gear firmer and quicker with the tune.

Sent from my Iphone4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.