Superchips in a 4.7L HO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Superchips in a 4.7L HO

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 12-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

Superchips in a 4.7L HO

I have been reading the threads about the superchips and the sct tuners.
I am looking for people that have the HO motor and what results they have had.
I read a post in a couple different threads on a couple different forums about how the tuners dont add any noticeable power to the 4.7 HO, that the factory already tuned the HO motor as well as its going to be.

How true is this? Will you few out there with the HO motor please chime in?

2004 4.7L HO Overland
completely stock.

Thanks

Unread 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have one (superchips) on order, whenever it finally shows up I'd be happy to let you know the good/bad of my impressions of it. We have the same model, year, and about the same mileage so it should be a fairly even comparison.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

It is noticeable with the HO though its slight.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
s2gots
2002 WJ 

Hey I'd be interested in this info also...I've heard basically the same thing to, that's why I'm on the fence with purchasing one...
s2gots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
bjm9818

As with any motor, the more you push it the sooner it will go BOOM! I have thought about getting a chip for my '03 overland but still a little hesitant. I have had enough issues with the car, don't want to add a blow moto to the list.

I have a DP chip in my '02 F250 7.3L diesel. I usually run it on one of the lower settings but sometimes I crank it up and get the extra 125HP+ from it. Not something I do often but on occasion I do get a kick out of seeing the look on the guy next to me wondering how my 3 1/2ton truck is keeping up with him.
bjm9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
sandfreestyle
2004 WJ 

I've tried all the setting on mine with the exception of the "towing" setting. I like the 87 octane tune the best because it gives a little more power and it gives some better mpgs as well. The 91 tune gets some more power but it had a tendency to want to down shift sooner on uphills and hold the higher RPM longer for the upshift. One thing that you will REALLY like if you have larger tires is the speedo correction. All around I like mine especially since I got it used for about half of new. I leave mine on the 87 tune and sometimes change to the "mileage" setting to get that extra 1-2 mpg on long trips.
04 WJ V8 HO, 545rfe w/ shift kit, NP231HD w/ SS SYE, TW drive shafts, 4" RCX, 255/75/17 moabs, 55w HID projectors, Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, Superchips, bored TB, HD Tie rod and Drag Link, IRO Steering Equalizer, Dual steering stabalizers, Homemade Sliders, 4 Hella FF75 55w HID Light bar...

“The corpse’s crimson bitter tears flow and mingle through the endless sand feeding the chaos in me and making me stronger”
sandfreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

The speedo correction is all that has worked successfully in mine so far. Lower octane program for 87 allows pinging at light loads up hills for me. I didnt get any mpg improvements yet either. I've tuned all items and changed all fluids out as well.

I just installed new O2 sensors thinking that they may be contributing to poor SCT performance. Jury is still out on that for a few more weeks. Need more data...

Speedo calibration is nice but I am not sure i'd have paid this much for that feature alone.

If not my O2 sensors perhaps my cats are restricting improvements to be fair. She runs fine/ great on 89 octane, just wish the mpg increases or low octane options worked for me.

I will update a thread on it if I ever get to the bottom of it all.... I've had mine for about 6-8 months fwiw.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.