Sunroof and hail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sunroof and hail

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

Sunroof and hail

Well, my cheap Jeep has become a pretty solid, upstanding member of society.

So, my plan is to drive the snot out of it across the Plains this spring, chasing storms.

The sunroof is a concern for me. Anyone know how strong they are? Anyone been through a big hail storm with theirs, and blew a sunroof?

Not only that, it someone has a spare glass panel, I might be interested in discussing an acquisistion, LOL.

Tim

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

If it was me, I think I would use the roof rails to hold some sort of wire/metal cage above the sunroof to prevent, or at the least, reduce the chance of real damage to the glass. I imagine something similar to the roof baskets would work similarly as well as give a place for storage.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

I had thought of fabricating a hail guard using the roof rails. Not like it would be very difficult.

Tim

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.