Such a bad day.....CV Shafts! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Such a bad day.....CV Shafts!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Such a bad day.....CV Shafts!

So Earlier this month I broke my 4WD, and I found out it was the CV shaft that was broke. So I bought both and a new hub assembly.

I get to my shop and get the old hub off the driver's side (just replaced passenger like month earlier) and Pull the sheared CV shaft out and put the new one in, put the hub on and all set.

Move to the passenger side, pull the hub off pull the CV out and it was good, worn, but good, so I try to slide the new shaft in but it stopped.....hmmm, so i pull it out and try again, it is like 4 inches too long! I go to Advance which is like 20 mins away, find out the other shaft (will explain later) is not in stock, and noone in town has the damn thing. So I go back to the shop, put the old CV in put the hub on and patch her up.

I pull it out for a test drive, get on some dirt and punch it.....POP, something broke....

The CV shafts from advance auto were the wrong ones, in the descriptions the two different CV shafts are "Part Time" and "Full Time", so having QTII i got the "Full Time", the description should have been, "With Varilok", Without Vari lok".

anyways the new drivers side shaft was too short and ended up shearing the end of the shaft that goes into the diff, only about 1/2" of splines were connected.

Having pulled the old CV out I decided to just plug the axle and drive back home without anything in there, well, bad idea.... apparently the hub assembly needs that shaft there to hold the bearing in place because she let loose, and stopped me dead, AAA got me to my place which is an hour away from the shop and a busted hub assembly!!

I'm not too happy with advance and their crappy description, but I should have measured before I put it in. ARGHHHH!

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Yep you cant run those sealed bearings without the shaft through them. They will come apart. On the bright side, your not the first guy to separate a hub. Ive seen several people do it, one of which was a jeep dealership tech.

Did the wheel come off? Did you damage anything else?
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

The wheel did not come off....yet. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, It has rained all day here heavy mostly so it is sopping wet out there. I'm hoping its just the hub thats screwed.

2008 KK 3.7L V6

Unread 09-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

The thing that really Irks me is how they "mislabeled" their parts. If they had labeled them correctly, I would be bumper deep in mud testing her out again....

2008 KK 3.7L V6

Unread 10-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Well, the right shafts are at the store waiting, but for you viewing pleasure,

http://bradbb2005.dyndns.org:13000/FTP%20Server/Videos/

2008 KK 3.7L V6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.