Stubborn Pinion Nut - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stubborn Pinion Nut

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #16
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh
You learn after the first time to always pop the pinion nut off before anything else
Yeah. Unfortunately, I purchased a used unit that already had the axles gone. The original unit is still on my Jeep. Once I'm done replacing the bearings and seals, I'm going to swap them.

Unread 10-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Wj

O.k., well, it's off. lol

I put a pipe wrench on the yoke. I picked up a 25" breaker bar and put a 2' pipe on it with a 1 1/8" socket. All that got me was sore, tired and swearing. The breaker bar was bending.

I called around town to places that rent tools but no one rented an impact wrench. At least, not one larger than what I already have.

So I called my local Tuffy and they said bring it over. They had me back my Jeep up and they took it off in about 2 seconds without even taking it out of the back of my Jeep. Turns out that I simply needed more persuasive tools. Also, they didn't charge me anything for doing it.

Once the nut was off, I checked the pinion threads and the nut and it definitely wasn't staked. It was just really, really on there.

So now I enter the land of pullers and punches...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.