Stubborn Pinion Nut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stubborn Pinion Nut

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Stubborn Pinion Nut

Happy weekend everyone.

Somehow I have the feeling you've dealt with this at some point.

I can't get the pinion nut off of the yoke on my differential to save my life. I took a long piece of angle iron and made a tool. I was able to put two bolts through the angle iron, into the yoke, and the pinion then couldn't rotate. I beat on it with an impact wrench for about five minutes ( the carriage is out). Didn't budge. Tried a breaker bar with a pipe but only ended up breaking the bolts in the tool.

So, I've soaked it with liquid wrench and am letting it set. The rust is really minimal inside the yoke. The nut looks like new. It just won't move.

Anyone have any ideas or advice? It's going to sit for the week. I'll get back to beating it up this weekend.

Thanks,

Brandon

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

On occasion, I have seen them staked down. See if it looks as if there is a section of the nut pinged down into a recess on the pinion shaft. If there is, take a small punch, and straighten it out. Should come off then.

Tim
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I had to use an 18" pipe wrench on the outside yoke to keep it from twisting, and a 18" breaker bar with socket to get my pinion free. It was tough, the impact gun couldn't remove it.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormChaserTim
On occasion, I have seen them staked down. See if it looks as if there is a section of the nut pinged down into a recess on the pinion shaft. If there is, take a small punch, and straighten it out. Should come off then. Tim
It doesn't appear to be staked. Both the nut and threaded end of the pinion look perfectly round. This weekend, after a week of soaking in liquid wrench, I'll try a pipe wrench and/or the impact gun and breaker bar. The axle assembly is currently on a bench. So it wants to move. Need a couple people to hold it down. Lol
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Duh

If you get desperate, pickup a small torch to heat the nut. Assuming a new bearing is going in........
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

When I did it, I actually used a breaker bar and extension to let it go out past the bottom of the Jeep and then drove it in reverse (or forward, don't remember which is the right way) so that the force of the engine would push the bar against the control arm to break the nut free.

This was after trying 3 different impact wrenches, none of which worked.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

I had this problem last week. My 400 ft lb impact wrench wouldn't budge it. I ended up u[grading to a 1000 ft lb torque impact wrench.
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I've always slipped my 3.5 ton floor jack handle over the end of my 1/2" drive 18" long breaker bar. A generous soak with a little PB Blaster and they come right off.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
If you get desperate, pickup a small torch to heat the nut. Assuming a new bearing is going in........
I may try this with a propane torch. And, yes, I'm going to replace the bearings while everything is apart.
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
When I did it, I actually used a breaker bar and extension to let it go out past the bottom of the Jeep and then drove it in reverse (or forward, don't remember which is the right way) so that the force of the engine would push the bar against the control arm to break the nut free.

This was after trying 3 different impact wrenches, none of which worked.
That is a kind of ingenious solution. Unfortunately, my axle assembly isn't currently on the vehicle, it's on a bench. So I'm stuck using [persuasive] hand tools.
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
I've always slipped my 3.5 ton floor jack handle over the end of my 1/2" drive 18" long breaker bar. A generous soak with a little PB Blaster and they come right off.
This is actually exactly what I did. I think my problem was my solution for immobilizing the yoke. I made a tool to hold the yoke in place and, instead of breaking the bolt free, I broke my tool. lol. I'm going to try the pipe wrench approach this weekend. I keep soaking it with Liquid Wrench.
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohsman View Post
This is actually exactly what I did. I think my problem was my solution for immobilizing the yoke. I made a tool to hold the yoke in place and, instead of breaking the bolt free, I broke my tool. lol. I'm going to try the pipe wrench approach this weekend. I keep soaking it with Liquid Wrench.
Gotcha.

Is the axle fully assembled still? If you still have the knuckles and hub assemblies installed (or axle shafts if it's the rear), you could mount the wheels and roll it up against a wall, that way the axle pushes against the wall while you're applying force to the pinion nut.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Gotcha.

Is the axle fully assembled still? If you still have the knuckles and hub assemblies installed (or axle shafts if it's the rear), you could mount the wheels and roll it up against a wall, that way the axle pushes against the wall while you're applying force to the pinion nut.
Nope. Not even ball joints. In fact, the differential carriage is out. The pinion and yoke are the only things on the housing at the moment. But that gives me an idea. Perhaps I could take a couple of U-bolts and bolt it down to the bench...
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Gotcha. Is the axle fully assembled still? If you still have the knuckles and hub assemblies installed (or axle shafts if it's the rear), you could mount the wheels and roll it up against a wall, that way the axle pushes against the wall while you're applying force to the pinion nut.
You learn after the first time to always pop the pinion nut off before anything else
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohsman View Post
A big enough pipe wrench with the correct bite to it worked great for me. 1 and 1/8th socket and as others said a long breaker bar with the end of the jack handle worked great. Best of luck!
JGC99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.