JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Stroker build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/stroker-build-1455739/)

Knoxes 12-28-2012 09:05 PM

Stroker build
 
Decided my backup Jeep needed a rebuild - the 4.0L L6 just doesn't have enough power.

Started yesterday:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n...0/IMG_9351.JPG

Some car porn:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n...0/IMG_9359.JPG

Hood off:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9...0/IMG_9361.JPG

End of day one:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_...0/IMG_9373.JPG

End of day two:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-R...0/IMG_9398.JPG

Almost everything is disconnected. I was trying to avoid discharging and removing the a/c system, but I don't think it's possible to pull the engine with the ac lines crossing above and below the front of the motor. That will have to happen next. I think the intake manifold has to come off to get the exhaust pipe free from the manifold. Once those things are done, I guess it's the bellhousing next. Then it should be free to come out. The FSM says to pull the motor without the trans.

It looks like there wasn't much accomplished on day 2, but I got a lot of the little things out of the way - a ton of connectors, the radiator finally came out, fuel rail and injectors, the belt, tensioner, power steering pump, starter, etc.

Trying to figure out where the lifting points are on this engine.

billzcat1 12-28-2012 11:37 PM

Looks like you're a bit of an I6 connoisseur!

240impala 12-29-2012 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wait till your at this step haha! I'm currently building a stroker as well

Knoxes 12-29-2012 08:17 AM

Billz - yeah, good call - although the other inline is much better looking - twin overhead cams, sidedraft SU carbs, big black header...

So where are the lifting points? Do you have to use the head bolts?

Cirruslydakota 12-29-2012 08:31 AM

I know this is heresy but I'd love to shove GMs 4.2 atlas I6 into my jeep. That engine is a beast.

Sent from inside my 4.0.

PhantomWJ 12-29-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota (Post 14692541)
I know this is heresy but I'd love to shove GMs 4.2 atlas I6 into my jeep. That engine is a beast.

Sent from inside my 4.0.

:aban:

Cirruslydakota 12-29-2012 04:36 PM

Come on, who else besides BMW makes (gas) inline sixes anymore? I wish Chrysler had updated the 4.0 six to the tune of how GM created the atlas. Who wouldn't want 290hp and 270tq? Even a jeep lover has to admit that's killer compared to our 190/235.

Sent from inside my 4.0.

xtremzj 12-29-2012 04:57 PM

How big of a stroker? Poor man? Or big buck?

PhantomWJ 12-29-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota (Post 14694765)
Come on, who else besides BMW makes (gas) inline sixes anymore? I wish Chrysler had updated the 4.0 six to the tune of how GM created the atlas. Who wouldn't want 290hp and 270tq? Even a jeep lover has to admit that's killer compared to our 190/235.

Sent from inside my 4.0.

Yeah it is.

billzcat1 12-30-2012 12:10 AM

I would have liked to see the I6 evolve with an aluminum head, maybe even go OHC but that wasn't to be with the emissions and crash protection requirements that merited the switch to V6s.

Volvo was making I6s for the XC90 up until very recently, but very few other brands have continued to use the I6. Only BMW and GM that I know of.

Knoxes 12-30-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremzj (Post 14694856)
How big of a stroker? Poor man? Or big buck?

This is my plan, subject to change depending on what I find once I break it down:

AMC 232 3.500" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Silvolite UEM-2229 pistons
Increase piston dish volume to 23cc
8.8:1 CR
CompCams 68-115-4 192/200 degree camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.040" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors for '87-'95 engines, Accel 24lb/hr injectors for '96-'04 engines, '98 Chevy LS1 25.2lb/hr injectors for '05-'06 engines
241hp @ 5000rpm, 294lbft @ 3000rpm

240impala 12-31-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoxes

This is my plan, subject to change depending on what I find once I break it down:

AMC 232 3.500" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Silvolite UEM-2229 pistons
Increase piston dish volume to 23cc
8.8:1 CR
CompCams 68-115-4 192/200 degree camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.040" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors for '87-'95 engines, Accel 24lb/hr injectors for '96-'04 engines, '98 Chevy LS1 25.2lb/hr injectors for '05-'06 engines
241hp @ 5000rpm, 294lbft @ 3000rpm

Who is dishing your pistons? My issue right now is finding someone who will machine them.

WJ2000 12-31-2012 11:28 AM

Here's some thing I found, http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...115&catId=7735

billzcat1 12-31-2012 11:44 AM

Yeah, Hesco heads are extremely cool. I just don't know anyone who has had the budget to drop $2k on the head alone.

Knoxes 01-02-2013 08:52 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B...0/IMG_9406.JPG

Monday's progress - discharged the a/c, pulled the condenser, removed about another dozen connectors, removed the valve cover and got 3 of 4 exhaust pipe-to-manifold bolts out. Having real problems with the second bolt on the front pipe. Right now, it's soaking in a half gallon of PB Blaster. I'll take another shot at it this weekend. I think I need an offset box wrench to get under the flange. I couldn't get a good grip on it with a socket.

240 - I'm not sure, but I hope the machine shop that I'm using will do it. I'll let you know. It's about 30 minutes north of Charlotte.


The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.