Strapped spare tire to roof, awesome storage space now! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strapped spare tire to roof, awesome storage space now!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
How many people does it take to get it up there?
All relative to how big a person you are and how strong. I'm 6'3" and 260. I had no problem getting a 33" on a steel wheel up there. Now if you 5'1" and 110 maybe need a couple people.

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeky510 View Post
I say 2 weeks before it gets stolen.
A really good idea though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thats what I was thinking you would need some type of lock system. I dont think you could easily come up with anything that would keep it from theft.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Careful with those straps like that, we had our roof rails rip out with a similar setup like that. The tension pulling inward like that, not ideal.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Darnice
2004 WJ 

I see it an overland, where are the cross rails. I would at least have the rear one behind the tire. To stop it sliding rearward.
Also, sitting on the roof like that, it will wear the paint away in quick order and rust will start.

Not to mention all the rattle noises on ever bump from the stuff in the spare well.

Get a proper roof mount, do it right.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
How many people does it take to get it up there?
Lol, not that heavy. I just picked it up and rolled it up the top portion of the door and laid it down. I'm 6'2" but not exactly muscular.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
PatriotUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeky510 View Post
I say 2 weeks before it gets stolen.
A really good idea though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That would suck so bad! Well, I don't spend anytime at all in bad neighborhoods, so I'll take you up on that bet!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
All relative to how big a person you are and how strong. I'm 6'3" and 260. I had no problem getting a 33" on a steel wheel up there. Now if you 5'1" and 110 maybe need a couple people.

Any chance you will gift me that Surco rack???

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Careful with those straps like that, we had our roof rails rip out with a similar setup like that. The tension pulling inward like that, not ideal.
That would definitely suck! I did notice that the rails do move a bit when I applied tension so I didn't go too tight.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
I see it an overland, where are the cross rails. I would at least have the rear one behind the tire. To stop it sliding rearward.
Also, sitting on the roof like that, it will wear the paint away in quick order and rust will start.

Not to mention all the rattle noises on ever bump from the stuff in the spare well.

Get a proper roof mount, do it right.
For some stupid reason mine doesn't have them. I've been looking into getting some anyways. Just one more thing that I need these days. No rattling from anything in the rear, everything is packed in there pretty tight.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Any chance you will gift me that Surco rack???

LOL It's been gone for over a year now. I made this to replace it.

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
Fireball027
2002 WJ 

I made a mounting bracket for my roof basket, but found it to much of a pain to get it up there and you could feel the extra weight up there on turns. So I got a hitch carrier made and use the spare tire spot to hold all my tools and recovery gear.

Here was my original roof mount bracket. It used a threaded rod with a 3/4 nut welded on top and a factory metal holddown plate.

And here is how it sits now..

Fireball027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Hopefully you don't have to slam on the brakes. I watched the very same set up turn really bad. the guy had to slam on the brakes, tire sled out from under the straps and went through the rear window of the the car in front.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Hopefully you don't have to slam on the brakes. I watched the very same set up turn really bad. the guy had to slam on the brakes, tire sled out from under the straps and went through the rear window of the the car in front.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
That sounds like a bad deal
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #29
WJefy
2004 WJ 

I did this when I used to have a ZJ. Master makes a cable lock that I ran through the tire and the rack rails. I had mine sitting on the rails. The tire would hop like crazy sometimes. You can't put enough tension on it to keep it really secure without putting pressure on the rails or roof. That being said, a cable lock might keep it from turning into a projectile.
I love the look. I have an '04 Overland and would like to do the same. I am saving to get a rack with a mount before I do, though. Of course I'm also saving for a lift, tires...hmmmm...it may be a while.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
akinshake
1999 WJ 

I just strapped mine to two of the cross rails through the spokes. Been up there for about a month now and hasn't loosened up or moved around at all.
image-381815251.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.