Strapped spare tire to roof, awesome storage space now! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strapped spare tire to roof, awesome storage space now!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Strapped spare tire to roof, awesome storage space now!

Had an epiphany today... Just throw the spare tire on the roof and strap it to the rails and use the empty hole to store goodies that I don't want just sitting out in my cargo area. Voila! I wasn't expecting to be able to fit all of the stuff that I normally carry in the back down there but it all fit! Haven't driven yet with the tire up top but I'm not really expecting to notice it. I'm not concerned with gas mileage or I would not have bought this vehicle in the first place.

PatriotUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

Hmm.. I just put my crap in a milk crate and... ta-da.
We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919
Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It would just put my weight up top which would affect the chance of rolling but for everyday driving that will work fine. You would have to be on some crazy trails for it to affect you
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Yeah I'm sitting stock so no crazy trails for me.
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ya it would take some crazy lift to throw it off. What type of jeep do you have? I have a TJ with 2" of lift on 32" tires. Im thinking of getting a roof rack and putting the spair up top. Until I got money saved up for a rear bumper with carrier that can still tow.
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Never mind I see this is in the WJ forum now. I only keep track of the wranglers XJs and ZJs. Im looking for a family car now due to my GF being pregnant I have had my eye on the Patriot for a while now. A Cherokee would be nice to I just hate how they switched the headlights. :/ The grands still look good though.
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Yeah '02 WJ Overland. Love this thing! Maybe take a look at one of these for the family. This is my family rig.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

They look nice I might have to look into them more. She wont go for an XJ. What do you get for gas? It does not matter much because we have a 2007 impala that gets good gas mileage im just curious. What would be a good winter rig?
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

This is light years ahead of an XJ. I have both and my XJ only gets driven every couple months just to keep it running basically. I have a heavy foot (love the power from the 4.7 HO) so I get about 14 city/20 hwy.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
This is light years ahead of an XJ. I have both and my XJ only gets driven every couple months just to keep it running basically. I have a heavy foot (love the power from the 4.7 HO) so I get about 14 city/20 hwy.
Thats not to bad I just love the look and customizing you can do with the XJs. I never looked into it how customizable are the WJs? I would not do it up much just enough to put some personality into it.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Yeah I agree, I love the classic look of the XJ. I went with the WJ because it is the last Grand Cherokee with solid axles front and rear and the Quadradrive 4x4 is super capable stock. Vari-lok limited slips front and rear. Vehicle is very comfortable and roomy, and is very inexpensive to purchase. I agree about wanting to personalize it to make it unique to you. I plan on doing so myself once funds allow. Check the Stickies in the WJ forum for threads on modifications.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotUSMC View Post
Yeah I agree, I love the classic look of the XJ. I went with the WJ because it is the last Grand Cherokee with solid axles front and rear and the Quadradrive 4x4 is super capable stock. Vari-lok limited slips front and rear. Vehicle is very comfortable and roomy, and is very inexpensive to purchase. I agree about wanting to personalize it to make it unique to you. I plan on doing so myself once funds allow. Check the Stickies in the WJ forum for threads on modifications.
I will be sure to do that! I googled some images and WJs can look sick sadly I would feel as I could not lift it much until the kid was like 8. Maybe 2 or 3 inches until then. I almost had my mind set on something brand brand new but they dont make them like they used to.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
PatriotUSMC
2002 WJ 

Yeah exactly, they do NOT make them like they used to and especially when you can pick one of these up for under $8k easy!
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
georged
2004 WJ 

How many people does it take to get it up there?
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
greeky510
2000 WJ 

I say 2 weeks before it gets stolen.
A really good idea though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
greeky510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.