that strange rubber smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > that strange rubber smell

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
robbie1003

that strange rubber smell

Mmmm most strange, my jeep has started with a strange rubber smell from the outside,most obvious from the r/h rear wheel arch, anybody any ideas? There's no plastic bag or other stuff stuck to exhaust, no draging brakes, no oil seals leaking in the hub, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks that could be flung onto exhaust. Its defo a rubber smell rather than a plastic or oil one, doesn't happen all the time and can be on the shortest of drives or manouver from drive onto road. thought it might be the flash lube but its not that either, any other ideas? Cheers.

robbie1003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm.... Mine does that too. Mine seems to come from the driver's side rear wheel. .

I haven't taken the time to check it out, but I definitely notice it on occasion. I thought it might by my 265-75-16 rubbing on the shock, which it does a little, but feeling the tire it's not warm or anything in the back, so I don't think it's that. And the hubs all feel cool even after a blast on the highway.

No idea. But I'll be watching this post.
Pete
Unread 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
robbie1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
hmmm.... Mine does that too. Mine seems to come from the driver's side rear wheel. .

I haven't taken the time to check it out, but I definitely notice it on occasion. I thought it might by my 265-75-16 rubbing on the shock, which it does a little, but feeling the tire it's not warm or anything in the back, so I don't think it's that. And the hubs all feel cool even after a blast on the highway.

No idea. But I'll be watching this post.
Pete

I have google search this problem and there is a few owners with same issue which is reported on the right hand rear side but with no conclusion that pinpoints the cause, just wanted to catch the problem early just incase its something that could develop into the usual big expense.

my thought is the reason for it being at that side could be because of the heat from the exhaust biasing that side and area but the smell goes as quick as it arrives so diagnosis using the nose soon goes. its a strange one, just hope it behaves itself and results in nothing but a bad smell.
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

I am having the same issue. I had a wheel seal leaking so I thought, it has stopped for now. I am going to replace the wheel bearing and seal along with rear brakes this weekend. Hopefully I will either find something while apart or the smell goes away when I'm done. I also can not pinpoint the smell other than it seems stronger on the passenger side rear.
Hlude1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Redsoxsrt
2000 WJ 

Let us know your outcome. I have the same thing. It's dam annoying

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Redsoxsrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
MadderThanMax

What's the tread like on your tyres? I noticed this the less tread there is on the tyre...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
robbie1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
What's the tread like on your tyres? I noticed this the less tread there is on the tyre...
estimate about 4mm all round, have you a theory? My issue can occur well before tyres get chance to warm up.
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

Well finished up the rear brakes and passenger wheel bearing. Still have the burnt rubber smell not as strong on passenger side, but defiantly still there on both sides. Guess I'll have to keep looking.
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
MadderThanMax

What?? Were you dragging the wheel?? I had wondered if it was due to the level of tread on the tyres i.e. The lower the tread the more chance of "wearing" the rubber hence the smell.. just a thought OR it may be the opposite as it scrubs the newer tread.. mine have about 6mm on them all round and occasionally I get this.. but I've never worried about it.. when you've drove over 200 miles with a siezed caliper and smoke billowing out the rear wheel arch then you have something to worry about..fortunately for me it was cold and raining at the time.. but by the time the car was home It need all replaced, bearings, caliper, pads. discs the lot! Not Recommended...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

No there was no brake hang up. Had a leaking wheel seal so replaced it and did pads and rotors as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.