Strange noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange noise?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Strange noise?

Any ideas on a grinding/vibration noise from left front rear while going really slow and slightly turning left. I'm know its not the QD because I always get that groan. It seem to only happen when I'm at a light before I press the go pedal. No noise at high speeds. I can't tell what it is. Maybe axle?

Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
I'm trying to upload a video of my front drive shaft. Hopefully this works. Also a picture of the rear, which seemed to have a weight on it at one point. Any input??
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

image-3584248849.jpg

Sorry forgot to add the picture
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
dippedWJ

How high is your lift
dippedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Well I'm on 4 inch springs with 2 inch pucks. Soon to be long arm upgrade
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
dippedWJ

Dies your wj have the cv joint style drive shafts? Looks like a rubber boot at the transfer case. If so, that's your vibration issue. 6" of lift is definitely gonna make that thing vibrate.
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

image-469109288.jpg

image-2252283293.jpg

No this is the front. I'm pretty sure I've been told this is the good one. It's the double cardigan. I'm hoping the little bit of vibes at like 45-50 is from the rear( the picture with the weight thrown off). As for the video I was just checking around to see if anything was loose and I noticed this play in the front DS.. I'm not really sure where the wee bit of grinding is from. I lifted the front end and rocked my wheels back and forth and they seem tight so I don't think it is wheel berings. It just seems to make the noise at idol speed just after taking foot off the brake to go forward and I've noticed it so far only while turning left. No noise at high speeds.
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
dippedWJ

Yeah it's not the drive shaft. I'm not sure then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.