Strange Electrical Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Strange Electrical Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Jeepsince79

Strange Electrical Problems

It all started with the automatic headlights flashing intermittently when the car was parked. Dealer said I needed a new sensor, but have just operated the lights manually instead.
Next, when first starting up, the CD changer in the back would act like it was cycling thru searching for a CD. I solved that by removing the disk cartridge.
Now, the programmed commands for auto door lock at 15 MPH and unlock all doors when driver's door opened work sometimes, and sometimes not.
These are just inconveniences. My big concern is that now, when starting the car, it sounds like the battery is really dragging down, but the car starts and the battery gauge looks normal. It is getting progressively worse and I am afraid that one of these mornings the thing will not start.

99 GC Laredo, 62K miles and original battery.

91 Toyota MR2, many mods
02 Subaru WRX, too many mods to list!
97 GMC 4x4 p/u
Jeepsince79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
0deuce0

Haunted headlights...

I have the same issue... here is what i posted to the cherokee forum.... didnt know there was a different one for the grands...

Any solution yet?!?!

So I was in my garage with my 2000 GC and noticed... the headlights were on... but as soon as i reached for my keys that were in my pocket... they turned off

They turned on and off repeatedly for about 10 min. There was no common length of time between and it was random how long they stayed on... The ignition was in the off position during the "haunting"...

Any help?? I do have automatic headlights...

Should I just call the car "Christine" and take it for a exersism (sp)...

thanks!

tom
0deuce0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
RockPaws

I would have the electrical system checked for proper voltage. Check the battery voltage and alternator output. Since you are having many electrical problems thats where I would start.
Its possoble its just a low battery. Even a low battery will start can start and engine.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.