Stock CD player wont eject - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stock CD player wont eject

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
kermit4161
2004 WJ 

Stock CD player wont eject

Am on the road and tried a search, but couldnt locate a solution... I have a standard CD/radio ( no changer) and can play a cd. But when I try to eject it, it wont. If I hit the eject, it switches to radio. The mode button will bring it back to the cd...but ejecting goes to radio again.

Is there a way to get it to eject? I have the first cd of an audio book in it...would like to get a new disc in before I get to my destination .

Thanks!

kermit4161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Sounds like the headunit bit the dust. I don't think there is any way to get it to eject short of taking out the headunit and disassembling it to get your CD back. Time to pick up a craigslist/junkyard replacement, or upgrade to aftermarket.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Check to see if there is a very small hole some were that you can stick a paper clip in to. they used to make cd drives like that
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
kermit4161
2004 WJ 

Ack.. thats what I was afraid of... Too bad. Everything else works great (even plays cds fine). I was going to upgrade sooner or later. I guess it will be sooner.

I might have to extend the audio book I checked out from the library.
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
kermit4161
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit4161
Ack.. thats what I was afraid of... Too bad. Everything else works great (even plays cds fine). I was going to upgrade sooner or later. I guess it will be sooner.

I might have to extend the audio book I checked out from the library.
BTW... It doesnt have a hole to force an eject (unfortunately). It is an RBK unit too.
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Same thing happened to my stock CD player. I ended up installing a new aftermarket one...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

before I upgraded, mine did that to, all I had to do was let it sit for a while like an hour or so and then try again and the cd would come out

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Check to see if there is a very small hole some were that you can stick a paper clip in to. they used to make cd drives like that
That only exists on tray loading drives, not slot loading. Good thinking, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
before I upgraded, mine did that to, all I had to do was let it sit for a while like an hour or so and then try again and the cd would come out
That's hopeful.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

Mine has stuck a few times. I used the old method of "If it doesn't work, Hit it". I pushed the eject button and then hit the top of the dash with my fist a few times right above the radio. It rattled the disc free. Sometimes, it takes a few tries. I don't use the in-dash player anymore.
bradywgn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywgn71
Mine has stuck a few times. I used the old method of "If it doesn't work, Hit it". I pushed the eject button and then hit the top of the dash with my fist a few times right above the radio. It rattled the disc free. Sometimes, it takes a few tries. I don't use the in-dash player anymore.
That truthfully makes my idea sound stupid
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
victorito
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywgn71 View Post
Mine has stuck a few times. I used the old method of "If it doesn't work, Hit it". I pushed the eject button and then hit the top of the dash with my fist a few times right above the radio. It rattled the disc free. Sometimes, it takes a few tries.
actually this is the best method you can use to get your cd back from the stock unit, "been there done that", hehe!
victorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
cde02ltd

This has happened to me too...I just hold the eject button until it ejects.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
kermit4161
2004 WJ 

I will give the 'Hit it' method a shot on my way home. I tried it several times during the drive down. No response to the eject button. Time to beat it into submission (lol)!
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

This happened to me on a church burned CD. They had a paper sticker on the disk which made it slightly too thick to eject. Mine eventually came out a little where I could pull the rest with a good set of tweezers.

I look a lot more carefully now on what disks I insert there. Mt back player doesn't work at all so I pulled it and use that area for a nice first aid kit.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
kermit4161
2004 WJ 

Hey all... I tried the 'beat the dashboard' method first thing this morning and it worked!! Then of course, I got cocky and put in the 2nd audio book for my return trip back thinking I could do it all again come next disc change... WRONG ... it started to skip around on the disc randomly, and went back to its old behavior of not ejecting. I tried thumping on the dash, but I think that might only work after its been sitting for a time. So I'll give it another whack in the a.m. on the way into work. A new CD player is in the works as soon as I'm not too tired to do some shopping.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.