Sticking caliper causing a shimmy?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sticking caliper causing a shimmy??

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

I've been having the same exactly symptoms. Yesterday, I stopped by a buddies body shop, when I got out I could smell break dust/ hot brakes. My hand found the hot one real quick- the drivers side front. I dragged out a floor jack and lifted up that corner, the wheel turned freely. I scratched my head for a second then grabbed the wheel and tried to wiggle it in all directions, thinking maybe it was a bad wheel bearing.

After this test found nothing wrong, my buddy suggested stepping on the brakes, then try turning the tire. After I let go of the brake pedal, he tried to turn the tire and it wouldn't budge. After about 5 minutes it started to turn a bit more freely. I'm betting on a sticky caliper, nothing else makes any sense.

Moral to this long response- jack up the suspected corner, step on your brake pedal then try to turn the tire.

2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Well it seems to be sticking when it wants too. I just took the kids to school and no wheels were hot again. So would a warped rotor cause my shimmy??
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Well it seems to be sticking when it wants too. I just took the kids to school and no wheels were hot again. So would a warped rotor cause my shimmy??
It could cause a shimmy, but usually with warped rotors you get a pulsating brake pedal when you step on the brakes. If it helps you- I changed my sticky caliper yesterday along with both rotors and a fresh set of pads. My problem is 100% gone. One of the pistons in the caliper was so frozen, I couldn't collapse it using a big C clamp.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Little update on what's going on. I tightened the control arms really good and the shimmy moved up 10mph. Somebody tell me what that was. Anyways I just rotated the rears to the front to see if its a bad tire or something. I'm not really getting the brake shimmy at slow speeds so it must not be warped rotor. Ill update tommorow after the drive to work. Thanks guys.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

if your rotors are warped, it'll shimmy your hand off :-) Once drove our SHO 5 hours down the interstate with that... not fun.

mine would start out slow at first, build, and turn into a bad vibration after I got my speed up. You might want to have those rotors turned. That would tell you for sure.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
zjcherokeebob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a rusted caliper slider. Felt like a warped rotor but brakes had just been replaced.
zjcherokeebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

So just a little update on how it's been riding. Saturday night I rotated the rears to the front and it got even better as far as wobble. So it's not the brakes. I did however rotate my one bad tire to the front so now there is a vibration back in the front end again. So it's either wobble or vibration. Until I get sick of these not really good road tires. Kevlar MTRs don't make a daily driver tire IMO.
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If the vibration changes when you move tires around, you've found your culprit!
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
If the vibration changes when you move tires around, you've found your culprit!
Oh for sure. But I knew about the vibes from the rear tire but it seems like I now have a front tire that vibrates bad and a rear that wobbles.
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Here is what I've come up with lately. Pittman arm or gearbox is loose. Seems like the gearbox. And the second clunk is from my trackbar. Any thoughts on the gearbox Causing some wobble??
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Video Link: http://youtu.be/sKVMz7dkwmE

Here is what I've come up with lately. Pittman arm or gearbox is loose. Seems like the gearbox. And the second clunk is from my trackbar. Any thoughts on the gearbox Causing some wobble??
If the box is loose and doesn't hold firm I could see how it would set it off.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #27
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

So I'm taking my heim joint off the RC trackbar tommorow and bringing it down to a local 4x4 shop to get a better one. I noticed a lot of play in that joint yesterday. Also was wondering if the angles of the steering arm and trackbar are correct looking. I thought they were supposed to be at the same angle. It's been like this for a year and a half now. I'm the idiot that has a track bar drop bracket and a drop pitman arm.

image-1033559851.jpg

image-3051399761.jpg
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
So I'm taking my heim joint off the RC trackbar tommorow and bringing it down to a local 4x4 shop to get a better one. I noticed a lot of play in that joint yesterday. Also was wondering if the angles of the steering arm and trackbar are correct looking. I thought they were supposed to be at the same angle. It's been like this for a year and a half now. I'm the idiot that has a track bar drop bracket and a drop pitman arm.
By the way if you look closely at the exhaust by the O2 sensor you can see my waterline from when I got stuck a few months ago. Doh!!
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Ok, so today I went and got my RC trackbar heim joint replaced with a beefier one. What a difference. Now my track bar is nice and solid. One down and who knows how many more things to go. Next will be steering box. The shimmy is still a bit there at 50 mph but seems like I'm gaining on it. It's definitely not the rotors.
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

At least you are being methodical about finding the issue(s) instead of replacing everything in sight. In regards to the track bar angle, it looks a bit off. The drag link and track bar should both have the same angle on them. When they have different angles, it will induce bump steer and sometimes the dreaded DW.

I fought for so long with similar issues on a Dodge Ram with the factory Off Road package, I swore I'd never own another chyrsler product again. Here I am, 5 years later with a Jerp that uses the same darn suspension design.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.